Chapter 7

The squeaking of the wheels on the rails accompanied Cora's sleep. Tired after an afternoon of waiting for departure, he was crouched on the seat of the Silver Bullet. The train to Boros went through the tunnel, completing the descent of the mountain. The hot and humid wind penetrated through the cracks in the window.

Marmorel had been buried in a book all evening, and Fez was playing with a bolt. It seemed as if the events of the Grand Prix had never happened, or were something to forget. Cora shook his head: let them do what they wanted, he just wanted them to stay calm.

"We're about to arrive, wake up the others," Elidana muttered sleepily, the sun's rays bouncing off her face.

Cora nodded and mumbled "okay" before turning around. "Aran, come on..." he said, but Aran was already awake and gently stroked Marmorel's side shoulder. "We have to go," he whispered.

Cora tapped Fez's legs, causing them to fall from the armrest. He looked back at the crop fields. That journey had been too short. He had learned something about Ethan, but it wasn't enough: he wanted to return to Edel as soon as possible, the wait would be hard to digest.

The others were ready and had already prepared their luggage in the middle of the aisle. Cora stood up and noticed with pleasure that the rest of the passengers were also dazed.

He grabbed his bag and lifted it up. It wasn't as heavy on the way there. He had left Lud with just a few clothes and was now carrying Seorite. He sighed at the thought of the only spare shirt left at the hotel. But if the plan worked, he could buy five, no... ten.

The most complicated part had been dissuading Elidana, who was more stubborn than ever,not to inform about the new abilities of the Great Jalme to the Lud City Council, at least until they had recharged the stones.

"Aran, do you think they'll stop us?" Cora asked.

"Try not to draw attention to yourselves, behave normally. After all, it's just Seorite exahusted," said Aran seriously.

Fez nodded vigorously, but when he lifted Marmorel's bulky suitcase, the sound of stones clattering echoed throughout the carriage.

Aran looked at him disapprovingly. "Damn it, Fez..."

"Sorry, but it's a boulder," the boy added as he tried to find a more stable arrangement.

"Attention: the train is about to arrive at Boros port. Passengers are requested to get off at the station for connections," the voice from the loudspeaker announced.

Once the Silver Bullet came to a stop, the doors opened and a stream of people flowed orderly onto the platform.

Cora pointed to the sign that read "Clodia" next to a nearby train.

"I want to go home as soon as possible," Marmorel snapped, carrying Fez's much lighter and more manageable luggage.

They proceeded through the separate line that led to both the exit and other trains. In both cases, three Kharzanian soldiers assigned to passenger control awaited them, two of whom were embracing a heavy rifle.

"Are you carrying Kharzanian objects or technologies, gentlemen?" asked the soldier in a mechanical tone. He must have repeated that phrase countless times.

"No. Just a piggy bank that we'll exchange in Clodia," Aran replied quietly.

"Are you carrying undeclared Seorite?" the soldier continued, eyeing Aran and Fez's residence permits.

"No, I don't think so," said the boy. "Wait a minute, maybe I do have something. It's the watch my father gave me." Aran showed his wrist. "You can keep it, no problem." The soldier analyzed Aran with a slim black bracket on which green lights were flashing. As soon as the instrument touched his body, the lights turned red and an annoying alarm started ringing. A flash of panic filled the eyes of the five young people and turned into terror at the first murmurs of the people waiting behind them. The armed guards tightened their grip on their rifles and approached threateningly.