Chapter 16 - Part 1

"Raise the anchor!" yelled Iak Zan Iasen as he ran up the stairs to the helm. "Get to your positions!"

A sailor jumped up right in front of Marmorel with such force that he almost crushed her foot.

"Watch it!" she exclaimed, jumping back and grabbing onto Aran's arm for support. Just having him close by calmed her down.

The entire crew moved as one, their heavy footsteps made the wooden deck shake.

"Master, I should go and help!" Camiel said firmly, surrounded by the boys.

Hyon looked at him, squinting. "What happened to Wind of Light?"

"I can't use it," Camiel replied.

"Do you want to fight without finding harmony with the new stone? Go, have fun and get killed," Hyon barked. "May I have a stroke if Meliro's warriors will submit to a bunch of Kharzanians on the high seas. You know what a disgrace that would be for your Emperor."

"But..."

"But what? Help me with the boys instead!"

Camiel nodded, lifted Cora by the armpits and motioned for Aran to grab his feet. A moment later they were disappearing below deck, followed by Elidana and Hyon - the former jumping around and muttering incoherent phrases, the latter walking calmly and shaking his head.

Marmorel remained outside with Fez at the front of the deck, waiting for someone to tell her what to do. The Kharzanian ships advanced parallel to theirs. The screeching of the Seorite feeding them drowned out the sound of the waves crashing against the coast.

"What was that light at Hyon's place?" Fez asked her.

What had the Kharzanians said? She tried to remember, but her thoughts seemed unable to stop, just like the men on the deck. Would they make it out of this one too? Perhaps they should hide, if only her legs would stop trembling. And meanwhile the ships were getting closer, they would soon catch them...and then she realized. "Someone attacked Cora!" she exclaimed. "They wanted to capture us, defying the Duke's decision." They had to run, hide, find a refuge. She dashed towards a wooden door and pushed with all her might, but something was keeping it stuck, letting it open only a crack. "There are barrels!"

Fez caught up with her, limping, and tried to smash it down with his shoulder. In vain.

If only Aran were in his place, Marmorel thought.

The door didn't budge, and the young man winced as he massaged the spot where he had hit it. "We can't stay here," he said.

Marmorel nodded in agreement. Fez was right. She looked at the stern, where the Kharzanian ships were trailing in their wake. "They want to clash on the high seas," she said, hugging herself. "There are no rules outside the port of Amanastre." Her hair fell messy on her face. "We shouldn't have gone to Edel," she continued. "We should have stayed in Lud, with our parents."

Fez pursed his lips.

The Hozman galleon continued on toward the open sea, and the main mast's sail slipped down uncontrollably until four sailors pulled the ropes. It looked like a bat's wing soaked in blood, with the symbol of dawn on it, the same as the Iak warriors', a half sun with rays rising to the sky. While on the crow's nest, battered by the wind, flew the flag with the Empire's emblem.

Marmorel dug her fingers into Fez's plump, sweaty arm. The shining and compact profile of the Kharzanian ships made her stomach knot. Made as if they were composed of a single metal plate, tapered to a point, the ships moved ever faster toward them. As soon as they were away from the coast, black cannons emerged from the deck of each ship. One of the ships veered, accelerated, and caught up with them.