Chapter 17 - Part 1

Cora leaned on the railing, eyes fixed on the horizon. His shoulder was throbbing, but it was nothing compared to the previous days. He winced and massaged it. The sea was calm and the ship was caught by a thin thread of wind that moved its sails. The sailor on the crow's nest shouted, and the whole boat sprang to life in the blink of an eye. Cora remained for a moment watching the maneuvers of the crew before noticing a flock of seagulls. He smiled; they would soon be disembarking.

As they approached the Dremisian territories, the young man saw the numerous sailboats scatteredalong the entire coast. "Finally," he murmured. He couldn't stand the cramped space below deck anymore. But he thought that someone was worse off than him. Even Camiel seemed to want to end the journey as soon as possible. He had a halo of blood around his pupils and noticeable black bags under his eyes. Whatever it was, it was not good. The warrior spent more time in his cabin resting than facing the journey with Hyon or his people. Occasionally, he even ate his meals in private.

Cora went down to check on him and inform the rest of the friends. But when he stepped on the first step, the Hozman was already ready for disembarkation. Camiel gave him a bag.

"Take this," he said. "A change of clothes that should last until we reach Laeth."

"Thanks," said Cora. He looked up at him. "How are you?"

"Fine... why do you ask?"

"Nothing," said Cora. He turned abruptly towards the outside. "I just thought you were a little down."

Camiel nudged him. "Let's go," he chuckled. "The day has yet to come when I'll need compassion."

The crew members also disembarked with the boys and the two companions. Some of them loaded a cart with a couple of barrels and disappeared towards the market near the quay.

Iak approached the group. Camiel looked back at him. "In the name of my role and for the purpose of my mission, you and your men are bound to silence," he said. Iak flinched. "I myself will inform your lord and the Emperor of the events that have taken place in these days upon my return."

The warrior of the Dawn nodded. "It will be done as you request."

Camiel nodded. "Thank you."

"We will be leaving for Meliro shortly, but we will send a boat that will wait at the port until she has completed your mission," Iak said. "Heir of Farendal, may the sun guide your steps," he added, bowing.

"And may the night not darken your path," Camiel replied, his gaze following the sheath of the sacred weapon of the Empire that the other man now carried with him.

Hyon clapped his hands and looked at them. "Welcome to Dremis."

"Do we have to stay here for long?" Marmorel asked. But Camiel had already started walking towards the city, and Hyon sighed before following his disciple.

A cloak of black smoke polluted the air of the Ragoon port, almost as if a shed were on fire. But the smell was not that of burning wood, it was nothing like that. And Cora saw it shortly after, a gigantic pile on the beach about a hundred steps away from them. There were eight other Hozmans ships at anchor and at least a dozen belonging to Amanastre and Zalesia. Dozens of unflagged boats fought for a place to dock near the beach. Just past the port, the entire area was a succession of large warehouses crowded with people; businessmen and captains busy buying and reselling goods from the ports of the continent. Not a single guard or dwelling in sight. But who would want to live in such a chaotic place?

Hyon looked around as if searching for something and then raised his finger towards a group of people who were much shorter than usual. They were struggling to load bags into what looked like houses on wheels, battered carriages made up of multiple floors, each pulled by at least four horses. For Cora, they were nothing more than improvised vehicles that looked ready to collapse at any moment.