Chapter Three

I winced as the bright sunlight streamed through my windows

I winced as the bright sunlight streamed through my windows. Groaning, I rolled around in bed, my memories from the last night a bit hazy. I hadn't drunk much, but I sure as fuck felt like it, thanks to the minimal sleep I'd gotten. My mind instantly drifted to Neil and as if on cue, my stomach tightened at the thought of all the ways we'd made good use of his bed. Fuck. I had to stop thinking about him and his magical dick. And his magical fingers...and his magical mouth and...no.

Muttering under my breath, I pushed a hand through my tangled hair before going into the bathroom to brush my teeth. The woman looking back at me in the mirror looked calm - much calmer than she had been the past few weeks - despite the smudged makeup. In my hurry to sneak out as quietly as possible in the wee hours of the morning from Neil's place, I'd forgotten to remove my makeup and had fallen into bed almost immediately, thanks to the night's activities.

"Fucking hell. I look like a nightmare." I swiped off the remnants of my makeup before quickly brushing my teeth and making my way to the kitchen for breakfast.

My new apartment was a modest one, with an open floor plan and enough space for a single woman to be living in. I pulled out my favorite box of cereal, rice krispies - because today was a day that warranted some sugary goodness. I almost moaned at the taste of it as my hand reached for my phone on the counter. I had a couple of missed calls and text messages from Mira, wondering if I was okay. Just as I was about to respond, her name flashed across the screen.

"Hello?"

"Hello?" She screeched from the other end, as I winced. "That's what you greet me with it? No I'm sorry to have worried you, Mira? Or I should have picked up your calls and answered your texts? I was worried sick about you, bitch!"

"Sorry." I muttered around a spoonful of cereal. "I forgot. I was kind of busy."

"With what? Or should I say, with whom?" She asked slyly, her previous anger towards me already forgotten.

"Shut up." I said, though one side of my mouth pulled up. Not that she would know that. Because as far as I was concerned, Neil was a one time thing only. A fling. I didn't need anymore distractions in my life - least of all a man like him. And I wasn't about to let Mira rope me into that conversation either.

"Ooooh, seems like someone had a good time. Are you blushing right now?" She teased as her giggle wafted over the phone.

"Fuck off, Mira. Stop bothering me." Even though I said that, my heart fluttered in my chest. A part of me wanted to open up and talk to Mira about him. But I couldn't let that happen. Because lines would get blurred. I didn't want to fantasise about Neil that way or even spare another moment thinking about him. Especially after the fiasco that my one and only relationship had been.

There was a momentary pause before Mira sighed.

"I get that you don't want to talk about it. You know, after he-who-shall not-be-named." I cringed at the mention of my past before straightening up again, completely awake now. "But can at least tell me if last night's hunk was good? Please? Pretty please?"