Chapter Fourteen

It had been exactly six days since I'd left Seattle and landed in the South of France for my parents' wedding

It had been exactly six days since I'd left Seattle and landed in the South of France for my parents' wedding. Crazy, I know, but here I was, playing the part of the dutiful son. It sucked ass truthfully.

"A little to the left...and that's perfect!" The photographer exclaimed as I rolled my eyes, stepping closer to my parents.

Mom had decided that she'd wanted the full package when they'd decided to remarry since they hadn't even had a proper ceremony the first time around. Hence why the pre-rehearsal dinner photos.

I was currently standing in the foyer of the lobby of the fancy hotel that they'd booked, counting down the minutes until we could finally get to the rehearsal dinner.

"Are we done yet?" I asked through gritted teeth, barely restraining myself from glancing at my watch.

"Oh Neil, darling," My mom laughed, though I could sense the note of warning in it. Something that I had been used to, growing up with an Indian mother. "Don't be impatient. We'll be getting to the exciting part before you know it."

Exciting my ass.

"Yes, cousin dearest, have some patience." One of my cousins from my mom's side - Dipa - mocked from behind the photographer.

That little shit.

Mom had invited most of her family for today and tomorrow's shenanigans and that was exactly the reason why the entire lobby was full of familiar faces. Ranging from nosy aunties and beer bellied uncles to annoying cousins and grandchildren, everything around me was buzzing with chaos. And I hated it. I just wanted the peace that being alone brought. Fortunately, there weren't many people from dad's side since half of them were dead or spread all across the world and unable to make it.

"Aaand one more! Look straight into the camera..." I pasted on the fakest smile I could muster, tuning out my surroundings as a cacophony of French and Hindi filled the room.

Finally, after what seemed like ages, the photographer let us go. I adjusted the collar of my shirt, ready to follow the crowd to the main venue when Dipa sidled up to me.

"CEO is looking good on you cuz."

"Trust me, it's not as pretty as it seems." I muttered as I pushed open the door, the slight wind wafting into our faces. It was pretty pleasant at this time of the month in Nice. Quite the opposite of the weather in Seattle, where it had no doubt started raining.

Thinking of Seattle reminded me of Aaliya. Of that last night we'd spent together and how explosive it had been. It was going to be torture to have to work together in such close proximity and not do anything about it, as if I hadn't worshipped every inch on her body all night long.

"What are you thinking about?" Dipa's voice rudely snapped me out of my daydreams as I blinked at her.

"Nothing."