Chapter Eight

"Right, so based on these numbers, I'd say we're definitely on the right track

"Right, so based on these numbers, I'd say we're definitely on the right track." I nodded as I gestured at the graph on the screen in front of me. "Aaliya and I have discussed things and have come to a conclusion that this will be the allocated budget for PR this year. I trust you can make that work. The media's been having a field day what with me stepping now anyways." I muttered, my forehead creased as I flipped through the papers.

"Of course, Neil. No problem." Sloane, the head of Communications and PR, said.

"Great, then." I said, closing the file in front of me. "Then that's it for today's meeting. I'll let you guys know if I need anything."

All the heads of department slowly filed out, except for Mac who sat beside me.

"Aaliya," I held up a hand, indicating to her to come back inside. "If you could just spare a minute, there's something I want to talk to you about."

"Of course."

Mac smirked at me before getting up and making a lewd gesture of thrusting his tongue between his two fingers, behind Aaliya's back. That jackass. I'd caved and drunkenly told him what happened between Aaliya and I. One night of hot, explosive sex. And now he was shoving it in my face.

"What is it?" Aaliya asked, standing beside me and leaning on the edge of the long table.

"I noticed that the return on investment on one of our newest ventures hasn't been accounted for."

"That's weird." She said, leaning down, her side pressing into the side of my chair. From this vantage point, I could practically see her cleavage peeking out from beneath her blouse. "I do, quite clearly, remember cross checking and making sure that it appeared on all the required accounting documents." Her brows furrowed in confusion as she inspected the document on my laptop screen.

"Well," I said, clearing my throat and willing my dick that was now hardening in my pants to go down. "It would be great if you could add it and make sure that everything's in proper order."

"Of course. I apologise for my mishap."

"You don't need to apologise, Aaliya." I responded, pushing away from her so that I didn't do anything stupid like bend her over this desk and fuck her hard. "Things like this happen everyday. Even by my hands. It's not a big deal." I shrugged, shoving my laptop into its case before standing up. "I'm sure you'll get it fixed by the end of the day, no worries."

"Yes, but this still shouldn't have happened." She continues, becoming even more stressed by the minute. "I don't make silly mistakes like this."

"Hey," I stop her with a hand on her shoulder. "It's okay to make mistakes, you know? Not everybody can be like me." I shot her a smirk.

"Oh my god, could you get any cockier? Humble is definitely not one of your personality traits." She snorted, slapping a hand against my chest.

"Cocky? Me? Nah, I'm just confident in my abilities." I puffed up my chest, before I took on a serious tone. "As you should be too. Don't be so hard on yourself, mon soleil. There's already a million different people who are going to tell you how to do things. But in the end, you gotta trust yourself. So what if you make mistakes or fuck up along the way? It's part of the journey and that's what makes it so much more beautiful. No path will be straight - it's always going to be full of curves and winding."