Chapter Seven

Neil nodded, satisfied, before saying, "I wouldn't have left you alone even if you'd say no, you know?"

"I know." I replied, giving him the side eye. "I know how persuasive and stubborn you can be, first hand."

"Me? Stubborn?" He said teasingly as he shot me a confused look. "Woman, you have the wrong guy."

"Sure." I scoffed, rolling my eyes as he turned around to fully face me, his back towards the street.

"What? You don't believe me? I've had so many people tell me that I'm quite amenable, thank you very much."

"And by so many people, you mean your delusional self, right?"

"You're mean, has anybody ever told you that?" He says, feigning hurt. "Try not to hurt a man's feelings, will ya?"

"I've been called a bitch, a grump and an obnoxious little shit. Nothing I haven't heard before." I mutter bitterly, the all too familiar memories rising up.

"Hey, hey." Neil put a finger on my chin, tilting it towards him. "I didn't mean it that way. I was just joking. It wasn't my intention to hurt you."

"I know." I sigh, massaging my temples. "Don't worry, I'm not taking anything personally. Just stating facts."

"Well, that's not done now, is it? Whoever said those things to you is a piece of shit and doesn't deserve your attention or your energy."

I wish I could have told him that those people he was talking about? Yeah, they'd been my friends - or ex friends now, I guess. Words hurt more when they came from somebody close to you. Because they knew your weaknesses. They knew just what to say to make it hurt. Case in point, mother dearest. If my memory served me right, she'd said the same thing to me in not so subtle words a few weeks back. Oh Aaliya, how will you ever find a husband with that attitude? Nobody's going to tolerate that arrogance of yours if you want to get married. Blahfuckingblah.

I shook my head, shaking the bitter memories off. "It doesn't matter anyways."

Neil opened his mouth, looking like he wanted to say something but then shut it, maybe thinking better of it. A comfortable silence filled the gap between us as Neil came to stand beside me, leaning against the wall. My eyes roamed over Seattle at night, noting how so many offices were still open despite the late working hours. That was the citylife, I guess. Most metropolitan cities never slept at night. Including Mumbai. A bittersweet emotion filled my chest at the thought of the city I'd once lived in. The city where I'd made so many memories, met so many people only for it to all come tumbling down.

"My parents are getting married again."

Neil's deep voice snapped me out of my trance as I looked to him, surprised. Out of the two of us, he was definitely the most approachable and open one. But I hadn't expected for him to blurt that tidbit of information out of the blue.