Chapter Twenty Four

My foot was tapping an incessant rhythm on the floor of the cafe as I waited for Aryan

My foot was tapping an incessant rhythm on the floor of the cafe as I waited for Aryan. He was fifteen minutes late and really testing my patience. Not to mention the way I was practically sweating bullets, wondering if people were judging me for being a loser that was sitting at a table for two by herself. Or maybe they were wondering if I was being stood up and felt sorry for me. It certainly seemed like the case right now. That was one thing I never had to feel when I was in the company of Neil. Everyone's eyes and judgemental stares all faded away when he was around. It's like he made me forget about them. And I was increasingly appreciating that by the second.

For what felt like the hundredth time, I glanced at my wrist watch, thinking that maybe I should have listened to Neil and just said no. I would have dealt with the consequences later on. Or maybe not. There was nothing scarier than the wrath of my disappointed mother. It always started the same. A disappointed frown when there were people around - because obviously, the Joshis had an image to maintain. Then she'd pinch my arm when no one was looking and say my name in the low, warning tone that let me know that I was in for a spanking when we got home. Sometimes, if my father hadn't stressed her out enough, mumma would let me go with a lecture. Other times, she'd slap me and yell in my face. You never knew what you'd get with her. Just thinking about her berating voice and not so subtle digs sent a shiver through my body and let me know that I'd made the right decision for now.

"Hi!" I startled, as a man's voice came from behind me. "Aaliya, right?"

"Yeah, that's me." Smiling, I got up as I greeted who I assumed to be Aryan.

The last time we'd seen each other was when we were six or seven - we'd both obviously changed since then. "It's good to see you, Aryan."

"You too." He grinned at me as he took the seat opposite of mine. "You've grown into quite the beautiful woman." He complimented.

"Thank you. I certainly have grown out of my chubby phase." I joked as he laughed.

Objectively speaking, Aryan was really attractive. Classically handsome, even. With wheatish skin and light brown eyes, he was no doubt my type. It was a shame that he wasn't the one I was constantly thinking about. I knew it would make my life a helluva lot easier if I settled down with a man like him. He was good looking, financially secure and seemed ready for a committed relationship. We'd get married, have kids and settle down. But then what? Was he the type of man to ask me to leave my job and look after the kids at home? Would he expect me to be the perfect little housewife while he worked shifts at the hospital? I mean, there was nothing wrong with being a stay at home mom - my mother was one. You do you, boo. But I felt like that type of life wasn't for me. Ever since I'd been at that age where I'd started to comprehend everything, I knew I wanted a stable job of my own. Something I could call mine.

But knowing Indian families, I would be expected to sacrifice everything - my future, my independence - just for my husband. No doubt my parents would support that as well. My own mother had quit her job right before she got married because that's what my dad expected. And then they had me. I would be damned if I ended up like her though. Which was why I had to make my feelings on this clear right now. Well, not right now...maybe after we were done with our coffee and lunch.