28. The Ball: Part 2

Renzo's POV

Bang! Bang!

I was pulled out of my trance by the sudden gunshot. I turned around to look at what was going on. I was met with what I had never expected. He was standing there with a smirk on his face. I don't know how he can smile even after I broke his empire. I pushed Zoya behind me. " What a pleasant surprise! I don't remember inviting you to the ball, but you are still welcome as we have a lot of food and wine left. Waiter,  heed his needs and give him all that he asks for. The poor fellow must have had a lot of tiring sleep-less and hungry nights the past few months." I say sarcastically. "It's good of you to care for me in such a manner, but it's my bad that I did not spend my nights hungry and sleep-less", he says with a devilish laugh. I look at him confused. He gives a small whistle and gunshots fly throughout the ballroom. I pull Zoya and go under a table. I told her to stay there and try to get along with my men. They were cross-firing at the Spanish mafia men. They were more in number. I was puzzled about how he had such a vast army of men outnumbering me and my partner's men.

I dodged the bullets as much as possible and beat as many men as possible. It was getting difficult to fight them because when I beat five they were replaced by ten. Suddenly I was met with a blow to the back of my head. I was pulled to my feet with a gun placed on my head. "You thought you could pull a small stunt and destroy my entire empire. you should have known better. You pulled all the mafia gangs towards you but forgot the Russian mafia." he says. Oh no, I should have thought about it. The Russian mafia boss has some vengeance against me and we were not on good terms but, I didn't expect him to help a person who killed his wife. Something is fishy. I will have to investigate it later, but for now, I have to escape from this situation and take my wife to safety. I try to escape his hold, but he strikes me.

"If you want your husband to be alive come outside," he says. "Zoya don't. Don't believe him. He is just trying to reel you into his trap. Stay wherever you are. He won't harm me. Please don't come out." I say panic clear in my voice. I was not afraid of losing my life, but the thought of him getting hold of her shattered my heart. There was no movement, but after a few minutes, Zoya came out of her hideout. What the hell is she doing? Why is she doing this? This can't be happening. I am just dreaming...

Zoya's POV

I stayed under the table listening to their conversation. The Spanish man did not have even a little bit of fear in his voice. He does not know about my Renzo and what he is capable of. I am sure Renzo will be able to devise a solution to the situation. Suddenly I heard him saying, "If you want your husband to be alive come outside."  My heart started beating fast. Think Zoya...think, I tell myself. I found a knife near me and pushed it into my garter belt. " I am here. Please leave him.." I say holding my hands above my head. I look at Renzo. I wanted to cry but controlled myself and send a reassuring smile towards Renzo. His eyes plead me to run but I did not do that and surrendered myself.