Gemma's Introduction Scene

[Funki company building, workroom; Gemma and Tess checking the toy, the toy breaks, Gemma sighes] 

Gemma: Why are we doing this? 

Tess: Because we have to. 

Gemma: If we could at least show him what we have, he would... 

Tess: No, mm-mm. You said so yourself. Not until she's ready. 

[Cole coming into the workroom, putting the box on the table] 

Gemma: Hey. Is that what I think it is? 

[Gemma, Tess and Cole preparing M3GAN's skeleton, Cole puts a silicone face on it] 

Tess: Transparency looks good. 

Gemma: Yeah, well, for what we paid for it, it better. 

Cole: Okay, here we go. Happy. Sad. Confused. 

[M3GAN's skeleton showing face expressions, but something is wrong] 

Gemma: Wait, wait. Stop. Why is her face doing that? What is happening?

Cole: I don't know, Gemma, it's your code. 

Gemma: Yeah, thanks, I know it's my code, Cole, but she doesn't look confused. She looks demented. 

Cole: What do you want me to do? You want me to take the skin back off? 

Gemma: Well, she's not responding, so... 

[Cole tries to take the face off, but it doesn't work] 

Cole: Oh, shit, it's stuck. 

Gemma: Just be care. Just be care. Hey, don't tear it. 

Cole: I'm not gonna tear... Ow. 

[three of them notice angry David, who tries to get into the room] 

Gemma: Oh, no, no, no, no. Shit. 

Tess: Okay, so what do we do? 

Gemma: I guess, we got to open the door. 

[Tess openes the door; David and Kurt come in, David notices M3GAN's skeleton] 

David: Gem. What, in the name of ever-loving Christ, is this? 

Gemma: David, if you just give me a minute to explain... 

David: Is this why you moved your lab down here, Gemma? So you can keep secrets from me? 

Gemma: No, no, no. We talked about this, David, I... 

David: Yeah, we talked about you putting it on ice until you had a new Petz model. How much did you spend on this? Are you even aware of this shit tsunami that just swept in over this Furzeez spot?

Gemma: I'm sorry, what? 

[Kurt showing an add] 

Gemma: I'm sorry, are we supposed to be worried about that? It's a rip-off. 

David: You're right, Gemma, it is a rip-off. They do the exact same thing, we do. And you know what else? They do it for half a price! 

[David throws a tablet] 

David: I told you we needed to go simpler. Didn't I tell her? Six months ago I begged you, I begged you to please give me an option I can put a shelf for 50 buckes. 

Gemma: And we are working on it, I promise. But, David, the only way to stay ahead of the competition is to come up with toys that are too advanced to replicate. I know the tech on Petz seems more complex that it needs to be, but that's only because I was using it as a launchpad for something bigger. In each Pet, we installed a listening model that targets conversational patterns among kids. 

David: You did not just tell me that. 

Gemma: Look, I know she doesn't look like much now, but I promise, if you just let us show you what M3GAN is capable of, you will realize that this is what we've been working towards. 

David: M3GAN? 

Gemma: Model 3 Generative Android. M3GAN, for short. Tess, load up the intro simulation. 

Tess: Now? 

Gemma: Yeah. 

[Tess turns the system on] 

Gemma: M3GAN, say hi to David. 

M3GAN's skeleton: As in the boss David? Well, I guess, I should call you Dad. Allow me to tell you a little bit about my wormhole. I was born in a sandwich shack and I wolf many cabbages. 

Gemma: Um... this isn't supposed to happen, obviously. Just give me one moment. Sorry about the noise. 

[Cole taking a polypropylene barrier] 

Cole: Gem? 

Gemma: One second, Cole. It's probably just a race condition. It'll literally take me a minute. 

Cole: Gem, it's not a race condition. I might have forgotten to put in the polypropylene barrier. 

Gemma: Oh, no. 

David: God. 

Gemma: Tess, turn it off. 

Tess: I can't. 

[M3GAN's skeleton's face blowing up, everyone shouting, Tess puts the fire out] 

David: I want the Petz prototype on my desk by Friday. And I want you to take this cyborg puppet show and put it in the dark closet, where it belongs!

[David coming out of the room] 

David: And I want a swipe card for this door! 

[David leaving; Kurt looking at Gemma with admiration] 

Kurt: For what it's worth, I thought she looked really cool. 

[Kurt leaving; Gemma packing her things; suddenly her phone vibrating; Gemma takes her phone and sees that Oregon Emergency Medical Center is calling her]