Gemma Takes Cady And Sophie Home Scene

[Gemma driving to a hospital; when she's there she's watching horribly injured Cady and Sophie being taken care by doctors and nurses; time skip, a clerk gives Gemma a document to sign] 

A clerk: So this is to grant you temporary protective custody. Just sign your name and date it at the bottom. 

[Gemma signes a document and gives it back to a clerk] 

A clerk: Thank you. Now, I don't know if your sister had a family lawyer already, but if not, it would be something to consider moving forward. 

[time skip, Gemma driving looking at the sad girls sitting back, when they're at Gemma's house, Gemma packing the things off, suddenly a dog jumps in front of Sophie and Cady] 

Gemma: Hey! Hey! Hey! Celia! 

[dog runs away, Celia appears on her side of a yard] 

Gemma: Can you please keep your dog on your side of the fence? 

Celia: I just spent 80 bucks on a shock collar. 

Gemma: Maybe try crancking it up a notch. 

Celia: Ah. Who these little ladies? 

Gemma: That is my nieces, Cady and Sophie. 

Celia: They staying for the weekend? 

Gemma: Um, you know what? It's been a really long drive, and, um, I would just really appreciate it if you did not have your dog running onto my yard all the time. And also, don't spray your chemicals onto my driveway, please. 

Celia: Ah, shit. I'm sorry. You want to borrow this once I'm done? 

Gemma: No, I don't want to borrow it. I don't want to spend my afternoon getting your sediment off my driveway. Just hang a tarp or something. 

Celia: Okay. 

[Sophie and Cady coming out of the car, they and Gemma enter the house] 

Elsie: Welcome home, Gemma. You have six unanswered messeges and five Tinder notifications. 

Gemma: Elsie, turn off. 

[Elsie turns off, Gemma closing the door] 

Gemma: Sorry about that. Okay. I'm gonna put these bugs away. And, um, just... make yourselves at home, okay? 

[Cady and Sophie walking and looking all around the house, suddenly they notice Gemma's collection of toys] 

Cady: Look. 

[Sophie smiling misty] 

Sophie: Oh. They're similar to ours. 

[the girls come to the desk and Cady taking one of toys] 

Cady: Where do you think Aunt Gemma got that cool toys? 

[Gemma coming into the room] 

Gemma: Oh, those aren't toys, girls. I mean, yeah, technically, yeah, they're toys. They're just, um, collectibles, so you don't actually play with them. That probably sounds really weird. 

[Gemma puts the toy back on the desk] 

Gemma: I'm trying to think if I have anything... oh. What happened to the Perrpetual Pet I got you for your birthday, Cady?

[Cady and Sophie grow sad] 

Cady: It's okay. We were just looking. 

[Cady going to their room, Sophie looking at Gemma] 

Gemma: If I did or said something that made you or Cady sad, just tell me. I don't want to make you feel bad. 

Sophie: Cady's right. It's nothing. 

[Sophie crying silently] 

Gemma: Hey. What happened? 

Sophie: Mom... she was your sister, right? 

Gemma: Yeah. 

Sophie: Did you love her? Did she love you? When we were all driving to a ski trip, Mom said about you as if you were someone completely stranger to her. 

Gemma: Oh. We were't... that close as we wished, but... we didn't hate or... dislike each other. 

Sophie: But you had no bond. Why... [crying] why did you take us? Did Mom ask you to do it... or anything, because... I don't feel that... 

Gemma: No. Sophie, no. We don't know each other well enough te treat each other as a family, but... I promise to change that. Do I miss Nicole? Of course I do. Not as you both do, but... we are in this together, right? 

[Sophie nodding] 

Sophie: Yeah. 

[Sophie and Gemma smiling] 

Gemma: If you want, join Cady. I'll check on you both later. 

Sophie: Allright. 

[Sophie going to her and her sister's room, Gemma sighing, but also smiling]