Gemma Calling Tess And Lydia Arrives Scene

[Gemma packing Cady and Sophie's things off down the house, suddenly she hears Cady crying; her sadness grows; time skip, Cady and Sophie watching TV together, Gemma talking to Tess by their phones] 

Gemma: I can't believe this is happening. I'm not equipped to handle this. I don't even take care of my own plants. 

Tess: Have you heard from Ryan's parents? 

Gemma: Yeah, they called and offered to help, but, like, they live in Florida. They're kinda weird. I don't know what their deal is. I don't... I'm just trying to figure out a way to do this without getting fired. David's gonna shit blood when I ask for more time off. 

Tess: Yeah, I know, but, Jesus, Gem, you just lost your sister. 

Gemma: And we spent $100,000 of company funds on a product that he didn't even ask for. If we don't get this Petz prototype to him soon, he's going to sue us. 

Tess: Okay, I don't think you can be worrying about work right now, Gem. Right now, I think you just need to focus on Sophie and Cady. 

[bell rings] 

Gemma: Hold on. 

[Gemma comes to the door and openes them; Lydia standing in front of Gemma] 

Lydia: Hi. 

Gemma: Hi. 

Lydia: I'm Lydia. 

Gemma: Oh. The therapist? Sorry, yeah. Please, come in. 

[Lydia and Gemma coming in; Lydia sees Sophie and Cady watching TV] 

Lydia: And you both must be Cady and Sophie. Hi, look at you. Still on your pyjamas. 

Gemma: Yeah, they were just watching TV. 

Lydia: I see that. 

Gemma: So, how does this work? 

Lydia: I just need to observe the three of you together for half an hour, 40 minutes, or so. 

Gemma: Oh, okay. Doing what exactly? 

Lydia: Oh, just hanging out. Maybe playing with some toys or playing a game. Hey, Cady, Sophie, do you want to run and grab some toys to play with?

Sophie: We don't have any toys here. 

Gemma: I just unpacked a bunch this morning. I think they're just old. I don't think they play with them anymore. 

Lydia: What about these ones up here? 

Cady: Those aren't toys. They're Aunt Gemma's collectibles. You're not supposed to play with them. 

Gemma: That's okay. We can play with them. We can totally play with them. Do you want to play with them? You want to play... yeah. Play with it. No big deal. 

[Gemma opening one of toys and throwing it to the girls, Sophie catching it, Sophie and Cady rolling it to each other] 

Gemma: There's a level you have to pull on the bottom. 

Lydia: Maybe, Gemma, for the sake of the exercise, we might let the girls lead. 

Gemma: Yeah, I'm just explaining how it works. 

Lydia: Well, it's a toy. I'm sure it's not that complicated. That's great, girls.  Do you want to roll it also to Aunt Gemma? 

[Cady rolls the toy] 

Gemma: It's just that this is not what it was designed to do. It does other things. But yeah, totally. Let's just roll it on the ground like a tennis ball. Let's do that instead. 

[Gemma, Sophie and Cady rolling a ball to each other; time skip, Lydia and Gemma coming out of the house] 

Lydia: Uh, we'll do more sessions with the girls initially, but that can happen at your office or school. 

Gemma: Oh, yeah. I haven't had time to look into that yet. Nicole was homeschooling them, but, yeah, it's on my list. 

Lydia: Sorry, can I just ask, how close were you and your sister? 

Gemma: Oh. I don't know. 

Lydia: But you wanted this, right? To take custody? 

Gemma: Yeah, of course. 

Lydia: Okay, because the father's parents have said they're willing to take them, if you feel it's too much. 

Gemma: Wait, did they contact you? 

Lydia: It's no big deal, Gemma. They're just trying to be supportive. 

Gemma: If Nicole wanted Cady and Sophie to go to Jacksonville, she would have said so. 

Lydia: But even so, I need to make my own recommendations to the court as whether or not this is a safe space, so you're gonna need to make one or two adjustments in order for this to work. 

Gemma: Okay. 

[Lydia leaving; Gemma thinking]