Chapter 19 - The First Move

-Cassidy's POV-

A lot had happened in the last few days – it made my head spin.

Elena's biological mother, Isabelle, had shown up and announced to Jenna who she was, which of course upset Jenna to no end. She has been staying at the university for a few days.

Katherine had been freed from her tomb prison, and was "helping", though if she really was, no one knew.

The Martins had tried to free Elijah, resulting in both of their deaths. It actually made me sad, because even though I didn't know them well, they had seemed like nice people, and Bonnie had told me that all they wanted was their daughter and sister back from Klaus.

I had just been called to meet at the Boarding House – apparently they were signing the house to Elena and then we were all going to school. Bonnie had harnessed the power of dead witches, so she was at her most powerful and was serving as bodyguard. And apparently, I had been named chauffeur.

I looked at myself in the mirror before heading out.

'You are strong. You are fierce. You will do anything for those you love.' I repeated my mantra to myself in my head – it made me feel like I was actually those things. I took a deep breath and walked out to my car.

I arrived at the Boarding House a few minutes later. I stepped out and walked up to the door, to see and hear Damon arguing with Elena.

"We didn't sign this house over to you for you to leave it!" he exclaimed. I rolled my eyes.

"I won't be a prisoner." Elena replied simply. "I'll have Bonnie. Her side is the safest place to be." she said as she and Bonnie strolled out.

"Wait for me." Stefan called, hurrying out after them, shrugging at Damon in the house.

I walked back to the car, unlocking it and climbing in as Elena and Bonnie did the same. Bonnie sat in front with me, leaving the back open for Stefan to be with Elena. I shot her a coy smile, knowing exactly what she was doing. She grinned back. As Stefan climbed in, I started the car. I pulled out after making sure they all had their seat belts on, and we all made idle chit chat as I drove to school.

—**—

Elena, Bonnie, and I were sitting at a table at school, just chatting, when Dana comes over.

"Hi Dana." I say, suspicious.

"Hey guys. Elena, this cute guy named Klaus asked me to invite you to the dance tonight. You're coming right!?" she says.

All color drained from all of our faces.

"Did you say Klaus?" Elena asked.

"Yeah. And he was cute too." Dana chirped, grinning widely.

"Where is he?" I asked.

Dana's face went blank. "I don't know. But he asked me to make sure Elena got the message."

We all looked at each other.

"I got it. Thanks Dana." Elena said, as we all collected our stuff and hurried to the car.

—**—

"So it wasn't as safe as you girls thought, huh?" Damon said mockingly, smirking.

We all glared. As we were, Alaric walked into the house. Something seemed off about him, but I couldn't tell what, so I let it go.

"There you are. I need you to put me down as a chaperone tonight. Klaus has made his first move."

Alaric just nodded. That seemed weird, he would normally make a snarky comment about Damon chaperoning.

"Ric? You okay." I asked, squinting at him.

"Hmm? Oh yeah, I'm fine." he answered, looking at me. I nodded, but kept my eye on him.

"So what's our plan?" Stefan asks.

"Me." Bonnie responds simply. "I'm the plan. I'll take him down."

"But what if he..." Damon says, before charging at her. Before he had reached her, Bonnie had thrown him across the room, causing him to knock over the lamp as he hit the wall. 

I couldn't help myself – I burst out laughing and high fived Bonnie. Damon glared at us as he stood up.

"Well I was impressed." Stefan commented. I grinned and nodded. 

"Me too."

"It doesn't matter if he's an Original. If he gets near Elena, I will take him out." Bonnie said, fiercely. I smiled at her, but couldn't help notice Alaric looking at her with a calculating look in his eyes.

What was going on with him??

A/N: So another short filler. I was debating if I should include the dance too, but decided to save it. Next chapter should be a long one...

Remember to vote, and comment.

This chapters questions: How does Cassie know something is wrong with Alaric? IS she just more observant, or is there more to it than that? Let me know what you think in the comments...

Until next time!!