Chapter 1 - Meeting Cassie

Chapter 1:

-Cassidy's POV-

“You've got a friend in me. You've got a friend in me…”

I groan, rolling over and slapping around on my bedside table, trying to find my phone. I find it just before my ringtone stops.

“What?” I grumble, not even bothering to look at the  ID.

“Cassie! Where are you? I've been trying to reach you all night!” Elena yells through the phone.

I sit up slowly, rubbing my eyes. I glance at the clock. 10 AM.

“Um, Elena. I’m home. Sleeping. Like a normal person.” I say groggily, still not fully awake.

"Well, while you were sleeping, Caroline has landed herself in the hospital, and Tylers' dad died." Elena said. My eyes shot open. I was now fully awake.

"WHAT!?!" I screech. "What happened?"

"I'm not sure - in either case. Tylers' dad was in my parents building when it burnt down. I don't know why, but he didn't make it out on time. As for Caroline, all I know is that something happened to Tyler when he was driving Matt and Caroline home, and he crashed the car. Him and Matt are fine, but Caroline is in really bad shape. They aren't sure she is going to make it..." Elena said, getting quieter as she talked. It sounded like she was holding back tears. I was too.

"I'll be right there." I said, before hanging up and jumping out of bed.

I rushed around, throwing on the first clothes I touched – a black T-shirt and black leggings. I put my contacts in, brushed my hair and teeth, and ran downstairs.

I scribbled for whoever came home first – Claire was gone with her boyfriend of the month, so who knows when she will be back, and Cam was at a sleepover. Mom was at work, like always. I grabbed my keys, and ran out the door.

I jumped into my car - a 2006 Chevy Impala LS - and reversed out of the driveway. I stepped on the gas, and rushed to the hospital.

I couldn't believe that I had missed my best friend almost dying.

I pulled in the hospital parking lot and pulled into the first available parking spot. I dashed through the door to the reception desk, ignoring the shiver that ran through me whenever I was in the hospital now.

“I'm looking for Caroline Forbes.” I said to the middle-aged lady sitting behind the desk.

She glanced up and me, then sighed and typed something into the computer. I tapped my fingers impatiently against her desk, and she glared at me, causing me to stop my tapping and cross my arms, sighing.

“Caroline Forbes is in room 273.” she finally said.

“Thank you for your help.” I said, sending her a sweet smile before turning on my heel and strolling down a hallway.

Once I was out of her sight, I began running through the nearly empty halls. I wasn't looking where I was going, so it wasn't a totally surprise when I ran head-first into something – or should I say, SOMEONE. The person looped their arms around my waist, pulling me closer.

“Well, hello there. You just can't resist me, can you?” purred an incredibly familiar voice. I looked up into two icy blue eyes belonging to none other than Damon Man-whore Salvatore. (hehe, that rhymes. That was not intended... Carry on.)

“Damon. What an entirely unwelcome surprise.” I hissed, trying to push myself away from him. He just pulled me closer, so we were chest-to-chest.

“Come on. You know how much you want me...” he said.

I raised my eyebrows, and shoved him away. This time, he let go.