Chapter 23: The Chat

"Welcome back." Elijah says, making me look up to see Elena strolling in. I look at her questioningly, but she just gives me a look saying that she will tell me later. I nod.

"Tell me. What is Klaus' curse?" she asks looking at Elijah and taking off her jacket.

Elijah gestures for Elena to sit on the chair across from us. I think she is just noticing that we are sitting on the same couch next to other. Her eyebrows raise but she doesn't comment.

"My family was quite close, but Klaus and my father did not get on too well. When we became vampires, we discovered the truth. Klaus was not my father's son. My mother had been unfaithful many years before. This was her darkest secret. Klaus is from a different bloodline. Of course, when my father discovered this, he hunted down and he killed my mother's lover and his entire family. Not realizing, of course, that he was igniting a war between species that rages until this day." he explains to her.

"A war between the species?" she questions, confused.

"Yes. The vampires... and the werewolves." Elijah responds. Elena's eyes go wide.

"So Klaus' real father was from a werewolf bloodline? What does that make Klaus? A werewolf? Or a vampire?"

"He's both. A hybrid would be deadlier than any werewolf or vampire. Nature would not stand for such an imbalance of power. Therefore the witches, the servants of nature, saw to it that my brother's werewolf side would become dormant."

"That's the curse that Klaus wants to break?" Elena asks, stunned.

"He wants to trigger that part of him that's a werewolf. If allowed, Klaus would sire his own bloodline. He'd build his own race. Endangering not just vampires, but everyone."

"But you helped him?" Elena questioned, confused about his motives.

"I helped him because I loved him. That's changed, now he must die." I looked at him with sad eyes. I knew the love of sibling, and I knew it never really died, no matter how angry. I still could not fathom him killing his brother, even if said brother had practically killed his other siblings. Elijah glanced at me and I could see the sadness, anger, and betrayal that came from talking about his brother. I grabbed his hand, and squeezed it. He squeezed back before turning back to Elena. She was looking at our interaction with surprise, but looked up and wiped that emotion off her face, before continuing with the discussion.

"We have the dagger now. We can stop him."

"When a werewolf is wounded by silver, it heals. An Original can't be killed by anything but white oak ash on a silver dagger. So you see the conundrum. The dagger does not work."

"What, are you saying that Klaus can't be killed?" Elena asked, concern flooding her eyes.

"There's one way to kill any supernatural species... at the hands of the servants of nature themselves."

"A witch if they can channel that much power. But it would kill them." Elena mumbles the last part, obviously thinking of Bonnie. I frown at the thought.

"The curse must be broken during the full moon. When Klaus is in transition. That's when he'll be at his most vulnerable. A witch with enough power... can kill Klaus." Elijah reassures.

"What if I told you that I knew a witch that could channel that much power?" Elena askes, determination in her eyes. My frown grows and I butt in.

"Elena, we can't ask Bonnie to risk her life like that. Besides, this would be after the sacrifice – I will not let either of you die!!" Elena looked at me, as did Elijah.

"I would tell you there's one more thing that you should know. I acquired a magical potion with powers of resurrection." Elijah says.

"You found a way to save the life of the doppelgänger?!" Elena asks and I exclaim.

"Yes. I did. But unfortunately, Katerina took matters into her own hands first. I believe you already know how that played out." Elijah said, eyes growing distant and cold.

"You cared about her, didn't you?" Elena questioned, analyzing his reaction, then darting a look at me.

"It's a common mistake, I'm told." Elijah replies. My heart briefly stung at that. He had told me that he had a past with Katherine, but I didn't know how deep it went. I had to admit that I was a little jealous.

"And it's one I won't make again." he finished before turning to look at me. My heart beats a little faster, hoping he's referring to the fact that he cares for me now. He holds out his hand, which I take, and he helps me up, wrapping my arm around his and smiling at me, before turning to Elena.

"Come. We must tell our plans to the others."

Elena and I both frown at each other, knowing that this situation is about to turn volatile, especially with Damon involved. However, we both walk with Elijah out the door.

A/N: Hey guys. So it has been a really REALLY long time... I had a bit of time where I just wanted to focus on something other than schoolwork, so I thought I would sit and type a little. Apparently, I had copied a majority of the transcript already for this scene, so I didn't do much. It isn't a long chapter by any means but it is an update... I hope you enjoy.

Again, all rights go to L.J. Smith, Julie Plec, and the other amazing writers of "The Vampire Diaries". I only own Cassidy, and the bits I added from her perspective.