Chapter 28 - Holy Hell

-Cassidy's POV-

My eyes fluttered open, the sunlight streaming in.

I lay there, my eyes slipping back shut until I realize that there is an arm around me and a body lying next to me. My eyes shoot open and then nearly bulge out of my sockets when I realize who is lying next to me, fully undressed.

"Holy hell..." I whisper. I cannot believe that I slept with Matt! One of my best friends in the world, who had just gotten out of a relationship with one of my other best friends, and I had just slept with him.

I shut my eyes tightly, hoping that when I opened them, it would all have been a terrible dream. But when I opened them again, Matt was still next to me, sound asleep and looking peaceful. I almost didn't want to move and risk waking him, as I am sure he could use the sleep as much I did. However, I needed to get away from this situation, as fast as possible. I just hoped this didn't ruin our friendship.

I carefully scooted to the edge of the bed and slipped out, and looked over. Matt was still passed out, and I was thankful for that. I quickly got dressed, and went downstairs. I sat at the kitchen table with my head in my hands, just thinking over all the messed up stuff that was happening in my life. First vampires, then Elijah, then all this with Klaus and Elena, and now Jenna was dead, Elijah was daggered and gone, Stefan was gone, and I had just slept with Matt. And to top it all off, I had an awful hangover.

I got up, and started a pot of coffee. I was just thankful that no one else was home, yet. I just needed to be alone for a minute and collect my racing thoughts.

But luck was not on my side.

"Cass?" I heard a hesitant voice ask from behind me. I turned to see Matt standing there, only partly clothed. He had his pants on, but he was shirtless.

I gulped. "Hey Matt."

"Um... so about last night..."

"Matt... I think we were both drunk and vulnerable..."

Matt nodded, relief in his eyes. "That's what I thought as well. Just a one-time thing, a drunken fling. I just hope this doesn't make things awkward and ruin things."

I sighed in relief that we were in agreement. "I agree. And it will only be awkward if we let it be. Let's just let this be a one-night fling, and let it go. And the others don't need to know either."

Matt nodded. "Agreed. SO, uh, got any coffee."

I laughed. "Yes, it should be done. I'll pour you a cup as well."

"Thanks, Cass."

We both sat at the table and drank our coffee and took some aspirin and just talked like normal.

--**--

After Matt left, I went up and showered. When I went back downstairs, my mom was at the table, chatting with Caroline. I froze for an instant. I was worried about Caroline's reaction if she ever found out about me and Matt. I mean, sure they were broken up, but I was sure she still had some kind of feelings from them, and the break up was fairly recent, and I had just slept with her ex. I was conflicted whether to tell her or not. I knew if I hid it and she found out, she would only be madder, but I also knew how heartbroken she would be if she found out.

Just as I was pondering all this, Care turned around.

"Cassie!! Hey! I was just talking to your mom – I was thinking that maybe we could have a day out, shopping and stuff. Just the two of us. We need to hang."

She shot me a look to show she knew something was wrong, but wasn't going to bring it up now. Great...

"Sure. Sounds like fun, Care! Let me go grab my purse." I say as cheerfully as possible. Her and my mom smile back at me, but Care is still analyzing me, trying to figure out what's going on in my mind.

I ran back up the stairs and into my room. I grabbed my purse out of the closet then stood for a moment to breathe and think things through quickly. I still was undecided about what to do, but I couldn't keep Care waiting. She would be even more suspicious.

I took a deep breath, and ran out of my room and back downstairs with a smile on my face. Hopefully it was more convincing than it felt.

Caroline was at the bottom of the steps as I came down.

"Ready." I said. "Where's my mom?"

"She went to her room to shower and change. She's hanging out with Carol today, she said."

I nodded, happy that she was spending time with Carol and doing something other than working.

"Good. That will be good for her. Let's go, then. I'll catch up with her later. Bye Mom!! Tell Carol I said hi!!" I said, yelling the last part down the hall towards Mom's master suite.

"Bye Cass! Will do! Have fun you two!!" she called back. I smiled before leading the way out of the house and climbing into Care's passenger seat, dreading the look I'll get when she gets in.

Sure enough, as soon as she sank into the seat and shut the door, she turned to me, eyes narrowed and mouth thin.

"What?" I asked, fidgeting in her gaze.

"Something's going on with you... Something you're trying to hide. What is it?"

"It's nothing..." I tried.

"Nuh uh. Doesn't cut it. Spill it, Cass." she said. I stayed quiet.

"Cassidy..." she said again, but again I remained quiet looking down into my lap.

"Cassidy Danielle Monroe!!" she scolded. I jumped, knowing there was no avoiding it. Now it was a matter of if I lied or just told her. But Matt and I had agreed the others shouldn't know...

"I... I just miss Jenna... and Elijah..." I whispered, eyes still on my fingers. Technically not a lie, but not what was really on my mind at this moment. However, it was a good cover.

I heard Caroline sigh. "Why didn't you just tell me?" she whispered.

"I was worried what you would think about the Elijah part." I answered.

"Cassidy, as much as he might have been against us at some point, if you like him and you miss him, then I am going to support you. You're my best friend, and I can't fault you for your feelings."

I sighed. "Thanks Care."

"Do you want to talk about anything?"

"No, just this girl time will be a good thing. Take my mind off everything."

Caroline smiled, excited again. "That was the plan." She said, buckling her seat belt and starting the car.

I exhaled, then smiled, getting excited myself. I buckled my seatbelt, and turned on the radio. "Work From Home" by Fifth Harmony came out of the speaker. Caroline and I looked at each other, grinning wide, before I cranked the volume and we sang-shouted along, as we headed into town.

A/N: I TOLD YOU AN UPDATE WAS COMING SOON!! :)

I tried to write a long chapter for you, to make up for the long time in between updates. Hope it was long enough and you enjoyed it!! What do you think of her and Care hanging out today? What do you think of Cass and Matt hiding what they did from everybody? Do you think they will find out?? Next chapter will be a time jump to season 3. Not sure if I will jump to Elena's birthday, or right to when Klaus and Stefan come back. Opinions are welcome. I don't want things to move too fast or too slow so let me know.

Until next time!! xoxo