Chapter 20 - Klaus

-Cassidy's POV-

As I was turning around to leave to get ready, I felt someone grab my arm. I turned to see Damon there.

"Red. I know I asked to go as a chaperone, but I wouldn't need to if I could go as a date."

"Well, Elena has Stefan, and Bonnie is with Jer, so... maybe Care?" I said snarkily. Damon gave me a patronizing look.

"Cassidy. I want to apologize for everything. I would be honored to go as your date tonight."

I stare at him. This is totally unexpected and I don't know what to say.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Elena shoot me a pleading look. I sigh internally. I will try for her – I don't know what she sees in him, but if she wants us to be friendly, I will try.

"Fine. Damon, I would very much like you to come as my date to the dance tonight."

Damon smirked.

"I would love to, Red. Pick ya up at 6."

I fake smile. "Can't wait." I say, before shooting Elena a "You owe me" look, and walk out.

--**--

As I sat in the living room, I looked down at my outfit. I was wearing white Go-Go boots, and a knee-length red and pink tie-dye dress. My hair was straightened, and I wore a thick pink headband. (A/N: Think of Elena, but with a different dress...)

"I can't believe this..." I muttered.

"Believe what?" asked Claire as she strutted into the living room in a low-cut black mini-skirt dress, and thigh-high high-heeled boots.

"Um. The fact that I am going to the 60s dance with Damon." I said, as I looked her up and down. "And where are you off to?"

"You're going to the dance with Damon Salvatore?! Lucky girl!" she cooed, eyes wide.

"Yeah, not so much." I retorted, rolling my eyes.

"Why? He's hot!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, but he is a total ass." I explain. She just shrugged, as if that didn't matter. To her, it probably didn't.

"As for me, I am heading to the club with the girls." she explained, plopping down on the couch, and giving me a view I never wanted to see.

"Claire. Might want to cross your legs, sweetie." I say, as I look away.

"Oh. Sorry." she says, crossing her legs.

"Which girls are you with tonight?" I ask, finally able to look back at her.

"Um... Amy, Tina, and Brittany." she said, pausing to think.

"Oh. Well, have fun." I said, not recognizing any of the names.

A car honked from outside. Claire got up and looked out.

"Oh, that's Brit. See ya tomorrow. Have fun with the Salvatore!" she exclaimed, winking as she strutted out the door.

I sighed and sat back, waiting for Damon to show up.

"Waiting for me, Red?" I hear someone whisper in my ear. I shriek and jump up, whirling around to see Damon standing behind the chair I was just occupying.

"Damon! Not funny!" I exclaim, putting a hand over my fast beating heart.

"I enjoyed it." he muttered.

"Nice to know you enjoy giving people heart attacks." I say, shaking my head. He just shrugs and offers his arm. I stare at him for a moment, then reluctantly tuck my arm in his. I can't help but wish this was someone else's arm – 'NO! Cassidy, do not even think about him. Just focus on tonight – Klaus will be after Elena. Mind clear, eyes open.' I chastise myself, shaking my head to clear that thought. Damon looks at me with a raised eyebrow, but chooses not to comment, which I appreciate.