Chapter 6 - Mason

A/N: Sorry it has been awhile. I was finishing up my sequel title contest – winner was my friend Mariska with “All is Fair in Love and War.” And I have posted a few chapters to that. Plus, I have had school work on top of it. Not a lot of writing time... So sorry for the delay. I have been on updating streak tonight – this is my fourth update on my books tonight; 2 on "Love and War", and two on "Original Gentlemen"!!!  New chapter!! Enjoy!!

-Cassidy's POV-

I drove over to the Lockwood's, parking my car out front. Carol was just leaving as I walked up the steps.

“Hey Carol.” I greeted, smiling.

“Cassidy. Hello. How are you?” she said smiling, and giving me a small hug.

“I'm good. Tired, but good. I worked so hard at the carnival last night, Damon Salvatore ended up driving me home.” I said, chuckling. She laughed too. 

“That sounds like something you would do – you have such a hard work ethic.” she said, smiling. “So what brings you here?” she asks.

“Oh. I wanted to talk to Ty and Mason.” I said. She smiled and nodded.

“Okay. They are out running right now, but you can stay here and wait. I have to run to a meeting now. Help yourself to anything.” she said, giving me one last hug before heading to her car.

“Thanks Carol.” I called, heading into the house with one last wave as she pulled away.

I went into the kitchen and grabbed a root beer, then went into the living room to wait for the guys. I sat there, thinking back to Elena's. Why did I feel so weird about that whole interaction?

I shook it off as I heard the door open, and people coming in.

“Good run. What was that, like 5 miles or something?” I heard Mason ask, breathing hard.

“Yeah, It think so.” Tyler responded, sounding out of breath.

“Do you ever do something like that, you know, to let off stem?” Mason asked.

“I play three sports. Running isn't an escape, it's a necessity.” Tyler answered. Mason grunted in response as I walked into the foyer.

“Might want to make sure you take off your shoes. If you get any mud in here, Carol will have your head.” I said.

Tyler turned to me, grinning.

“Cass. Hey. What are you doing here?” he said, coming over. I stepped back.

“Uh uh. You are not hugging me all sweaty like that. You get a hug after you shower.” I said, grinning back. His face turned mischievous, and he lunged at me, grabbing me. I shrieked as he squeezed me in his arms and spun me around.

“Tyler Lookwood! Put me down!” I yelled. Tyler listened, setting me down, and stepping back as I swatted at him. Mason just looked on, grinning.

“Well that was fun.” he teased.

“Maybe for you.” I retorted, acting mad, but really having fun.

“Oh, don't act like you didn't love it.” Tyler joked, winking at me. I shoved him away, laughing.

“So what brings you here today, Cassidy?” Mason asked. My smile dropped as I thought about last night.

“I was wondering what exactly happened last night. Why did that guy attack Ty? And I could have sworn I saw your eyes change color... And apparently I worked so hard that I had to be driven home by Damon. I'm just really confused about what all went on...” I said, looking down.

I glanced up to see Mason with a blank face, but his eyes were full of conflicting emotions – anger, guilt, sadness.

“The guy who attacked Tyler was being a dick. I defended him. Then we came home. You stayed and worked. I don't know what happened to you after that.” he said slowly, pronouncing each word distinctively in a monotone. I nodded.

“Okay. But, what about your eyes?” I asked hesitantly.

“I don't know what you think you saw, but nothing happened, Cassidy.” he said.

“But, I could have swore they...”

“Nothing happened, Cassidy!” he bellowed, stunning all of us. He took a deep breath.

“I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled.”

“It's okay. If you say nothing happened, I'm sure nothing did.” I hurried to reassure. I didn't want to start any trouble.

“I'm going to go shower.” Mason mumbled, heading upstairs. Tyler and I stood there, shifting our weight on our feet, an awkward silence falling between us.

“He's usually pretty chill...” Tyler mumbled.

“Yeah. I'm sorry I brought it up...” I said, shrugging.

“Hey. It's okay. It must just be touchy for him. You did nothing wrong.” Tyler assured me, putting a hand on my arm.

“Yeah. Okay.”

“Really, Cass.” he said, frowning.

“I know, Ty. I just shouldn't have pushed. But it's done now. He said nothing happened, so nothing did. It's fine.” We stood there in silence for a moment, before Tyler sighed and looked back at me.

“So what do you want to do now?” he asked. I smiled.

“Well, first, you are going to go shower. Then maybe we can go to the Grille or something...” I said. Tyler grinned and nodded.

“Okay. Be back soon.” he said, taking the steps two at a time. I smiled after him, then headed back into the living room to wait for Tyler.

A/N: I don't think this is one of my best chapters, but I hope you enjoyed!! Until next time!