Chapter 26 - The Aftermath

-Cassidy's POV-

As I sobbed, my phone rang. I tried to calm myself, as I answered. I hadn't bothered to check the ID because I couldn't see it through my tears anyway.

"Hello?" I answered, choking back tears.

"Cassie?!" came a familiar voice.

"ELENA!?! What – How- I-..." I stuttered out.

"It's a long story. Can you come to the boarding house? But sneak out – your family thinks you're gone..."

"I'll be there in a few!" I said. We hung up, and I wiped the last of the tears. I stood up, put my phone in my pocket, and walked over to the window. Not for the first time, I wished we lived in a ranch house, so it was all one floor. I opened the window, and reached for the branch of the tree outside my house – it was the one surefire way down. I didn't sneak out often, but I had learned to use the tree when I did – the branches and leaves hid me, and it was sturdy enough to hold me. I could go to the trunk, and then shimmy down. I then made my way to the boarding house on foot – it would take me longer, but I couldn't exactly suddenly start my car after sneaking out and them thinking I was gone.

After about 10 minutes, I knocked on the boarding house door. I was expecting Stefan or Elena to answer, but to my surprise, Damon answered.

"Red." he said, smirking. "Come on in."

"Thank you. Damon." I said, questioningly. I stepped inside the house and I heard footsteps hurrying towards me. I ran towards the living room, and met Elena halfway there, embracing her and tears spilling out on her shoulders, as I felt hers hitting mine.

After a full 2 minutes of just hugging each other Elena finally pulled back and wiped my tears.

"You don't know how happy I am to see you." I whispered hoarsely. Elena smiled sadly.

"I know. I was worried about you."

"You were worried about me? Why?" I asked.

"I didn't know what happened to you. Last I knew, you were in a compelled sleep by Elijah, and then everything happened, and you have been asleep for 3 days, and Elijah went missing, and we thought maybe Elijah had taken you..."

"Wait, wait, wait... Overload here... First you knew about the compulsion?" I asked, a little hurt.

"Not until after it was done, and then there was nothing I could do. Besides, it kept you out of harm's way. While I don't exactly approve of his methods, Elijah was just looking out for you. However, I did think it time to give you one of these." she said, reaching behind her, and pulling out a necklace. She latched it around my neck explaining,

"It has vervain in it, as well as on it, so it will prevent compulsion and feeding vampires. I should have given you one a long time ago, but better late than never." she said, smiling. I nodded and smiled. I looked down at the necklace - it was silver with floral cutouts. I opened it, and there was some dried flowers inside.

 I opened it, and there was some dried flowers inside

"Okay. And I guess I understand the compulsion, I am just hurt – he knows how much I dislike compulsion, and he didn't even ask my permission..." I mumble, my heart aching a little at Elijah's betrayal and the thought of him daggered.

"So, where is the noblest Original? He must of freed you if you are awake – but I figured you would be attached to his side." Damon said, waking in with a glass of what looked like alcohol.

I gulped, tears springing to my eyes.

"Klaus daggered him." I mumbled, looking down.

"What?! How do you know?" Elena asked.

"When I woke up, I was furious. I called his phone and started ranting when he picked up. At least I thought it was him until Klaus revealed himself, then told me he daggered Elijah, and I quote 'Reuniting him with his family.' Sick bastard." I said, holding back tears. Elena gave me a quick hug.

"It'll be okay, Cass." I just nodded, and pushed it back.

"So, what happened with you? Where's Stefan? I want to know everything from the time I went to sleep, to the time I arrived."

Elena let out a heavy sigh.

"It is a very long story. Come into the living room, and Damon and I will tell you everything.

--**--

I sat in an awed silence.

"Wow. That is... a lot to take in. Elena, I am so sorry for everything. Jenna, John, yourself!! And now Stefan... How are you holding up?"

"Honestly, Cass, I am just barely keeping it together. With everything going on, it is just all so overwhelming..." I nod sympathetically, squeezing her hand.

"Well, I am always here for you, to talk to, to cry with you, anything you need."

"I know, Cassie. You are an amazing friend. Thank you for always being there and understanding."

"Of course, 'Lena."

We hug again, before Damon clears his throat.

"So. What now, princess?" he asks smirking.

"Now, we find Stefan." Elena says assuredly. Damon snorts.

"Like that will be easy." he says.

"I won't give up in him, Damon. And neither will you." Elena said confidently. Damon just shakes his head, downs his glass of alcohol, and says "Whatever you say, Elena," before walking out. I just shake my head and turn to Elena.

"Whatever I can do to help, let me know."

"Thanks Cass."

A/N: I'm BAAAAAACK!! This semester is done, and man, was it crazy!! But now I have 15 weeks off, so I hope to write at least 10 chapters for both books in that time!!

Let me know what you think – and what you think should happen next. Cassidy's new vervain necklace in the chapter. I have something up my sleeve for an upcoming chapter that will really be a twist and shake things up... Any guesses??

Hope you enjoyed!! Until next time!! xoxo