How Did UK Keep Her Colonies For So Long?

TW: Colonialism

UN: This is going to be awkward...
***
UN: Good morning, UK!
UK: Oh, hello! Do you want a Chocolate Digestive? *pulls out her box of biscuits*
UN: No thanks... and I have a question...
UK: Oh, do you? Well, go ahead...
UN: How... How did you keep your colonies for so long?
UK: I... Uh... Had a large military presence in most of them and... um... I was stronger than most rebels...
UN: I have a bad feeling about this...
UK: There were... a few... human rights violations...
Kenya: 'A FEW'?! HOW DARE YOU!
UK: ...A lot of human rights violations-
UN: L-Like what?
UK: ...Torture, imprisonment, murder of natives... other things...
Kenya: 'Other things'?! What about everything from Operation Legacy?!
UN: Operation what?
UK: I... uh... burned the documents referring to most of the atrocities committed against my colonies, particularly against the Kenyan rebels...
UN: Y-You're insane...
Kenya: She's leaving out a lot of detail still! The prison camps, the r***-
UN: THE WHAT?!
UK: I'm not proud of it...
Kenya: OH, REALLY?!
UN: UK, GO HOME. WE'LL DISCUSS THIS LATER!

As a Brit, the things done by the British Empire to its colonies were horrible and often glossed over or simply not talked about (or certainly that's the case over here). It's a really important topic and so many innocent people were hurt and killed because of the greed that drove the imperialism, not only within the British Empire, but in the vast majority of former empires worldwide. I would recommend looking into Operation Legacy, as it shows the true length imperialist nations were willing to go to to keep control of their colonies. The atrocities committed aren't exclusive to the British Empire either, however (and I can't speak for other nations) it simply isn't ever acknowledged here, unlike in Germany, for example, where ammends have been made, after much effort.

That was quite a long rant, sorry, but it feels kind of important... Anyway, thanks for reading! :D