chapter sixteen: Lianna

AJ, Danny, Tally, John, Madi, Sam, and I all stand awkwardly staring dead at the cabin we found.
"Well screw this I'm goin in." Danny too a step forward when Sam held her hand out Infront of his chest to stop him from taking another step.
"Wait!" She said. "What if someone's living there
"No one's LIVING there but there might be someone Dying there.
AJ interrupted- "what if it belonged to that lady we shot when we first got to the island?"
"Well then the person who LIVED here is gone" Danny held his hands in quotations when he said 'lived'
He ignored Sam's gesture and opened the door. I followed close behind him. We all slowly stepped toward the door. Step by step, step by step, and step by step. Until we were all inside. Madi followed behind AJ, and the kids followed behind Sam. We all stood inside. The lights were off until we heard-
Click click,  uh oh. The lights turned on and there was a man. Not just any man. A full grown adult. My guess...late 20s early 30s. He had a short stubbled beard of black hair, greenish blue eyes of rage, and chiseled jaw. He stands with the gun pointing at us. We all slowly raise our hands.
"What are you kids doing here?" He said in a real deep tone. I look over at Sam huddling the kids behind her.
"We came here to find a survivable island and get away from the chaos same as you I'm guessing." I said in a projectile confident tone.
"Same as you?" He said with a chuckle. "I've been living here for almost three years now." The man lowered his gun.
"Are you an adult?" John asked sweetly.
"Shush John." Sam whispered.
Tally has the look of fear all over her face and tears forming her eyes.
"Nah it's okay I'm not gonna hurt ya. I know what's been going on, And yes kid, i am in fact an adult. The last one left I'm afraid."
I step forward approachingly, "how come YOURE still alive?"
"Im afraid I do not have the answer for that. I'm sure you guys have many questions but since you're here might as well stay a while."
Danny had a protective look on his face, AJ stubborn to believe he'd want to help, Maddi and Sam confused, the kids terrified.
"There's extra rooms upstairs, I had kids too but they all moved out. There's three rooms upstairs if y'all wanna take em."
"Thank you so much for your hospitality but-" I was going to reject the offer but AJ interrupted-
"But how can we help to offer our thanks?" He said staring at me hinting he had some sort of plan.
"Oh no need it's my honor, plus it gets kinda lonely here anyway. We're really off grid!" He exclaimed with a chuckle.
We all head upstairs the same way we entered the house. We could hear a creak in every step. It was a two story house made of nothing but wood logs. As we get upstairs we divide the three rooms, Tally and Sam get one room, AJ and Danny get the other, while Sam Maddi and I get the last. The kids get settled in their room while we all discuss what's going on before we get settled in ourselves. AJ starts talking-
"Guys, dont you think it's odd? I mean- the old lady zombie thing we killed when we got here? This island was supposed to be remote! Not only that the last adult alive? How come he survived but NO one else did?" He walked over to the doors. "And look at this!" He said pointing into the rooms "he said his kids have all moved out. This room looks like it's been recently used at least a month ago."
"So you think his kids still live here?" Sam asked.
"No I think something happened or is happening and he's not telling us we need to find out and find out soon. This man can be dangerous."
"I think we should keep a low profile until we get settled in. He hasn't given us a reason for him to not trust him yet." Sam responded.
"She's right." I agreed with Sam, but Im also hesitant  because i also agree with AJ. "Low profile and when we notice something off we'll plan to investigate."