Chapter nineteen: Maddi

Lianna approached a bookshelf and called us over. We couldn't believe what we saw. We all walk in one by one. I told Tally and John to watch Omar and to come and get us when he wakes up.
We walk into the hidden room and there were cages of zombies with photographs Infront of them. Each one had a note Infront of it. I picked one up. It read 'dear aunt Kate' I put it down and picked up another one. 'my dearest son Jace' and I looked at the next cage, it wasn't an adult. She looked like she could have been five or six. I look down and the note read: 'my baby girl Ava' I felt sick to my stomach.
"These were his family" I wanted to cry
"And close friends." AJ added.
"Guys look." Sam pointed at glasses of what looked like chemicals. Sam pointed at a beaker that said: 'the zombie turner' and another one that said 'possible cure'
"Do you think he's trying to make zombies? Or turn them back?" Lianna asked until-
Boom!!!
We all whip our heads around. Omar standing in the door way as he drops the rope we tied him with. John and Tally are screaming in the other room.
"What did you do to them?" Lianna said with her voice breaking.
"Relax I'm not a monster. I just simply....tied them up like you did to me" he said with a smile on his face. "Oh you can go get them if you don't believe me."
Danny and Lianna rushed into the other room. Omar closes the door behind them.
"Whyd ya close the door bro?" AJ muttered.
"Cuz they can't escape. They're stuck. As soon as they untie those kids and try to pry open the door it won't budge. And you three are stuck in here."
"Why do you want us stuck in here." Sam asked.
"Becuase you little pricks snooped around when you weren't supposed to. I have you guys food, shelter, water, and you come along selfishly and try to destroy my progress?"
"What progress?"
"Look it's not as bad as it looks." He hesitated. "Look when my mom got diagnosed with cancer i-"
"Save the sob story tell us the truth." I barked out.
"Okay fine!" Omar looked puzzled. "I work for the government. A friend of mine was also worked in the office and he knew I practiced chemistry and asked me to spark something that could control the population. So I....did."
"By turning people into zombies?"
"Yes but as you can see I've been working for a cure!"
"Why is there a child in a cage?" Lianna clearly wanted answers but I couldn't blame her.
"She's the reason I know the zombie cure works." He walked over to her. Her hair was a mess and her face pale. She had rage in here eyes when she jumped and reached out the bars. "If it turns regular humans to zombies, then it turns zombies to humans."
"And you sacrificed your own daughter for an experiment?" I was in disbelief such and evil person could do such a thing.
"Well yes but, only for 24 hours. You see tonight I just make her drink this and she'll be normal again."
"You are a sick human being." Sam added.
"No" he said with a chuckle. "No no no no. Sick would be letting someone out of the cage so that you guys know who your messing with."
"More like YOU don't know who YOURE messing with!" Tally screamed from behind him.
She jumped on his back with a rope around his neck and pulled it as hard as she could to get him to the floor. But Omar reached out
To hold onto something to save his fall but he accidentally pulled a lever. One of the seven levers, to the seven cages. I noticed one was open. That must've been the zombie that attacked us when we first got to the island. And it read: "get well soon mom" I wanted to cry when I realized a cage opened behind me. I screamed!
"AHHHHHHH" Til Sam jumped the gun. Sam pushed me to the floor and jumped on the back of the zombie. "SAM!!!!!!" I Screamed. She threw punches while AJ was trying to help tally with Omar. Omar pulled another lever opening another cage. "Tally Run!" AJ screamed at her. AJ pushed Omar into an empty cell and closed the cage. A zombie came up to me from behind. I dodged him but AJ came up to save me. He pushed the zombie away and the zombie turned around to face Sam and the other zombie.
"SAM GO! GO WITH LIANNA!!!!" she didn't listen. Before it was too late I jumped in to try and pull her away but a zombie made eye contact with me and grabbed her arm as I grabbed the other. I tried to pull away while AJ delt with the other zombie. He pushed it into a cage and closed it behind him. Eventually the zombie let go of Sam and came after me. I shrieked so loud Antarctica could hear me. I opened my eyes realizing the zombie had yet to touch me. Sam once again pushed me to the floor and let the zombie feed on her neck.
"Sam!!!!" I ran toward her but AJ held me back as I sobbed in disbelief. "No no no no no no no no no!"
Sam was gone now. She was gone. She was gone.
An hour has passed and I became revengeful. AJ had been so kind to me and caring but I didn't need sympathy. I needed revenge. I grabbed the sharpest knife in the kitchen and headed toward the basement. AJ followed trying to talk me out of it but I didn't want to listen. I walk behind the bookcase and walk up to his cell and AJ turns me around. He makes deep eye contact with me. I turn around to look at Omar still in the cell. "You deserve death!" I stared at him blankly. Numb.  "But not by my hand." I throw the knife at his feet and walk away. We get out of the basement and AJ takes me to the Yacht. He takes us to the deck where we get a clear view of the island.
"I was so excited to be here at a remote island with no worries." I mentioned. I broke down and cried in his arms. Like I have been doing for the past few hours. He pulls away from the hug but doesn't break eye contact nor does he let go of me and says.
"When we first arrived at the island I couldn't tell what was more beautiful. The island....or you!" I paused. Was he saying what I think he was saying. "I don't want to just survive on this island. I want to thrive, and the only way to do that is if I have you by my side." He wiped away my tears pouring from my water eyes. "Be mine."
"Be yours?"
"Yeah you know. My girlfriend."
A smile peeked from my cheek. Sam told me we were meant for eachother. She would want me to be happy. She would want this for me. Especially with AJ.
"Sam would want me to be happy."
"I think my happiness can begin with you." I lean forward to place a passionate kiss on him. I wrap my arms around his neck and he leans me back. I look at him and smile knowing Sam was cheering me on from above. At least my best friend met my soulmate, And she approved. I just wish she could physically be here. She would've been so proud of me.