2.

Jonah yawned as he walked out of his room and went into the kitchen, sliding his house shoes on the wooden floor. "Fuck!" He blurted out as he opened the fridge and grabbed a carton of coconut water before chugging it down.

Jonah went back to his room and grabbed his phone. He unlocked it and FaceTimed his grandfather who answered almost immediately. "Happy birthday old man." He said once Amaru appeared on the screen.

Amaru chuckled. "Thank you, but I got your old man. What you doing up so early? Classes ain't start yet."

"You know I'm an early bird either way." Jonah replied. "I'm about to see if somebody wants to go to Waffle House with me."

"I know Kyran isn't up yet." Amaru said.

"Definitely not him. I'm talking about Asia's roommate. I met her last night." Jonah said.

"You trying to pursue her?" Amaru asked.

Jonah laughed. "Chill, gramps. She's new to the city and she's real cool people. I'm just trying to help her get comfortable. She was also born and raised in Memphis."

"Oh really? What's her name? I might know her people." Amaru said.

"Cali—she didn't give me her last name though." Jonah told him.

"Hmph, alright. Well I'm gonna let you go. Enjoy breakfast with your new friend." Amaru said.

"Aight, big dawg. Happy birthday again." Amaru thanked him once more before they ended the call. He called the number Cali gave him last night and she answered on the third ring. "Good morning, sunshine."

Cali giggled. "I see we're both early risers—even after a night of drinking."

"Yeah, but them other two ain't." Jonah replied. "You up for some Waffle House?"

"Waffle House? Hell yeah, I could eat some cheese eggs." Cali said.

Jonah laughed. "Text me y'all address. I'll come scoop you up around nine."

"Aight, shawty. I got you." Cali assured him.

"Aight, mamas. See you soon."

They hung up and Jonah got up to shower. He was excited to spend time with his new friend. The clicked so well last and was excited to learn more about her. It was almost like he knew her before.

-

"Cali? You think it's Karis and Taylor's baby girl?" Mya asked Amaru.

Amaru shrugged. "He said she was from Memphis, but he didn't know her last name. There could be a chance."

"That chance might be slim, Amaru." Heather chimed in.

"Yeah, and we should talk about something else now." Killian spoke up.

"Don't be like that, Kill. It's been almost twenty years now." Arman said.

"Almost twenty years that she's been out of my life and I would like to keep it that way." Killian told them.

"So what if this Cali is tink and they end up being really good friends—or even a couple?" Shakur asked.

Killian scoffed. "It won't happen."

"I beg to differ." Amaru stated. "Now if this is tink then he is most definitely helping her find her way around the city. Hell, he took her to Waffle House this morning."

"Oop—Waffle House?" Both Nova and Arman whispered to each other. They were definitely going to gossip about this over wine tonight when they got home.