The Dance (Pt. 1)

"You... What?" Blake asked, throwing her arms up incredulously. "We want you to go to the dance." Ruby offered again, her voice raising in pitch. Silence hung in the air as Blake absorbed her leader's words. "That's ridiculous." She mumbled, crossing her arms. You hummed, staring down at Blake inquisitively from Ruby's bunk. The girl looked unwell to say the least, dark bags forming under her eyes from days of working tirelessly without ample rest. Her hair was disheveled and oily, and she was visibly shaking from her lack of nutrition.

"Blake, we're worried. Your investigation is turning into an obsession." Yang sighed, putting a hand on her partner's shoulder. "Look, you're not sleeping, you're not eating, and it's even started affecting your grades!" Weiss tried, her eyebrows knitting themselves together in concern. "And not to mention, you haven't been the kindest to us either. We just want you to be okay." You finished, your eyes beginning to sting with tears.

Blake's eyes softened, but her posture remained distant. "None of that matters right now!" She growled "People's lives are at stake! You can't expect me to ignore it like everyone else!" Blake stood up, turning to start towards the door. You quickly jumped off of Ruby's bunk and put a hand on her chest, stopping her in her tracks. "Stop for a second and listen to us! I told you I wouldn't watch as you destroyed yourself and that's exactly what's happening right now." You glanced behind Blake at your teammates, all of them wore the same worried expression. "Blake, I want justice just as much as you do, but we need to do it smart. We're doing as much as we can as fast as we can."

Weiss nodded thoughtfully, "We know from you two and Sun that they're operating somewhere just outside of Vale, which matches up with Schnee company records regarding dust robberies." "And General Ironwood's missing military tech." Yang chimed in. "That's not enough, there's still so many unanswered questions..." Blake trailed off, her voice falling to a whisper. "Blake, you won't be able to find anything if you can't even keep your eyes open." Ruby shook her head. "We just want you to relax for a day. We should be allowed that much." She finished, her grey eyes flashing with empathy for the black haired Faunus standing in the middle of the room.

"Plus, it'll be fun" You smiled at Blake, "Yang and Weiss are part of the planning committee." "I don't know about Weiss, but I'll make sure this dance is Yangin'" "Hey!" Yang laughed, flexing her impressive biceps. "And after that, we can keep looking for answers, rested and ready." Ruby grinned, looking at Blake with hopeful eyes. "So what do you think?" For a moment, Blake's features seemed to soften as if she was truly considering going. But as quickly as the moment arrived it was gone, her eyes becoming cold once again.

"I think this is a colossal waste of our time." Blake spoke bluntly, pushing your hand off of her and stomping out of the dorm. "I'll be in the library." In a split second, all of the hope in the room rushed out like an open balloon. "Goddammit.." You sighed, resting your hands on your hips to keep yourself upright from the exhaustion of that draining conversation. "We need a better plan."

~~~

"That's the plan? I prefer Y/N's way." Sun groaned, spinning around aimlessly in his chair. "We are not handcuffing her to a pole in the middle of the dance floor and leaving her there until the dance ends." Weiss asserted in disbelief while you and Ruby snickered. Yang rolled her eyes, standing up to stretch her arms out. "She'll be there, I promise. In the meantime you all better get ready. I can't be the only one turning heads." Yang winked at you, making a kaleidoscope of butterflies explode in your stomach.

"Oh don't worry" You stood up; sauntering over to Yang and pulling her closer by her bandana. "I'll have everyone doing double takes tonight." You sneered, only letting the blond woman go and walking out of the dance hall once you were satisfied with the shade of red her face had turned.

~~~

A/N: Hello again! Sorry for being a bad author and consistently leaving you guys high and dry over these past few years. I really don't have the same time I did 5 years ago, nor do I want to spend all of my free time writing a story that's frankly lost it's fire... That being said I'm not a quitter and I wouldn't leave a story I love and care for unfinished. I will finish it, even if it takes 20 years to do so. That's a vow. Thank you for supporting my story thus far, really. Onwards! (P.S. If I didn't say this already, this story is also on AO3. Same name, same author. Think of it as a remastered version. It's more polished, but it doesn't have the fun additions such as the Valentine's Day special and the long, droning author's notes. It's just the story, no more. If that intrigues you I strongly suggest you check it out!)