An Odd Favor

It was a year ago. Ajax found himself back in Snezhnaya to reunite with his family.

"Big brother's home! Mom! Dad!" a familiar voice called from inside the house.

The door unlocked, and Ajax stepped into his parents' home, greeted by a warm and affectionate scene. Hugs and happiness welcomed him.

"Did you bring us presents, big brother?" a young voice piped up.

"Absolutely! I always want the best for everyone!" Ajax responded cheerfully.

With care, Ajax unveiled a sizable box. The young boy eagerly took hold of it, and laughter echoed through the room as they shared this joyful moment.

"Hello, Mom, Dad. Are you both well?" Ajax inquired, offering kisses to his parents.

His parents assured Ajax of their good health, their faces radiant with the happiness of having their son back. Ajax then shared tales of his endeavors in Liyue Harbor. He conversed with his brother about his return journey and with each family member about their goals. The atmosphere brimmed with warmth, an authentic portrait of a content and united family.

Then one morning. A letter arrived from Ajax's friend, Andrei.

Dear Ajax,

How have you been in Liyue? Teucer informed me last week of your return to Snezhnaya. Are you here now? If so, can we reconnect at our cherished spot? It's been a while since we caught up. I propose meeting when you find time.

Sincerely, Andrei

Ajax responded to the letter, entrusting it to Teucer for delivery as the young boy headed out to play. Teucer agreed and fulfilled the task, delivering Ajax's words to Andrei.

The following day, Ajax sought out Andrei before attending the funeral of a fellow harbinger. Beneath a towering tree near Ajax's home, Andrei sat, an air of contemplation surrounding him.

"Hey, Andrei," Ajax greeted, a gentle tap on his friend's shoulder.

"Oh, hi, Ajax," Andrei replied, his gaze distant.

Silence enveloped them for a while. Both men, each with their papers spread out before them—Ajax, reviewing documents; Andrei, staring at his map, lost in thought.

"Ajax, there's something I need to ask," Andrei began, placing his map face down.

Ajax mirrored the action, attentive to his friend's somber tone.

"I can't explain it, Ajax. On my last expedition, I narrowly escaped a confrontation with the Fatui agents in Mondstadt. I was injured, and my father had to carry me home. I've healed physically, but a sense of impending danger lingers. I fear I won't survive the next encounter," Andrei confessed, his eyes glistening with tears.

Ajax's gaze shifted to Andrei's vision, its light dimming, as he listened intently to his friend's emotional revelation. Andrei's face held a mixture of vulnerability and dread.

"Tomorrow, I depart for Natlan. Would you watch over Alisa in my absence? Even if you're in Liyue, could you keep an eye on her? Just make sure she knows she's not alone," Andrei implored.

Lost in contemplation, Ajax nodded, his hand patting Andrei's back in silent reassurance. As the time approached, Ajax gathered his papers and left, the weight of Andrei's request heavy on his mind.