Chapter One: A Most Horrible Daughter

“Thank you for coming in today, Mr. Robinson-Mancini,” Ms. Charles, the school principal said as I walked into her office. 

“It’s Mr. Robinson, I’m divorced,” I muttered as I sat down in one of the seats across from her. I couldn’t believe I was at this school yet again. I hadn’t been here since the divorce. Eli had gotten primary custody of her. What had Michelle done now? She had already been caught skipping class, using her cell phone in class, insubordination . . . what could possibly be next?

I tapped my fingers against the chair lightly as the door swung shut behind me. I glanced behind me to see the devil himself. In his pressed Armani suit, slick blonde hair, with a briefcase in tote – My ex-husband. He quickly hung up his cell phone as he slid into the seat next to me. I didn’t even look at him. 

“Now that everyone is here,” Ms. Charles began. “I can begin. As you may know, your daughter Michelle is quite the troublemaker. Today, Michelle was caught having sexual relations with a male student in the school equipment shed. Now, I know that Michelle is a smart girl and used to be one of the brightest students in her class. One can’t help but to think that perhaps her problems are stemming from a problem at home.”

Oh brother. So, she’s blaming us for our daughter’s destructive behavior? Please it wasn’t my fault. It was the dumbass next to me’s fault. He’s the reason our marriage failed. He’s the reason Michelle was acting out. It was his genes in her, not mine. Michael was mine biologically speaking and Michelle was his. You don’t see Michael acting out like this. What did she even mean by sexual relations?

“Hold on,” Eli butted in before the principal had finished. “Michelle was caught doing what exactly? And are you implying that my ex-husband and I are the reason our daughter is acting out in such a way because I beg to differ Ms. Charles. Yes, I know our divorce has been hard on her and it’s taken quite the toll. But, our daughter has been influenced by her trashy schoolmates especially that guy whom she’s been hanging around. I assure you that we will do everything in our power to set Michelle straight.”

I rolled my eyes. Now he wanted to act like the all-caring father. Maybe Michelle should live with me. I mean it was obvious that Eli wasn’t taking good enough care of her. This would be a perfect time to sue for custody. 

“I believe you don’t understand the severity of the situation, Mr. Mancini,” Ms. Charles said. “Michelle was caught having sexual intercourse with a guy. That’s a very inappropriate behavior. I believe she’s going to need more than a stern talking to. I recommend perhaps her seeing a therapist.”

“I will look into that,” Eli nodded. “Is Michelle being punished for this?”

“Two days of outside suspension and one day of inside suspension,” Ms. Charles muttered. 

“Thank you, Ms. Charles,” I said. “I appreciate you for informing us.”

“You’re welcome,” Ms. Charles said. “You gentleman have a nice day.”

“You too,” Eli said as he hopped out of his seat. I followed him out the door and out into the hallway as they paged Michelle to the office. I leaned against the wall as Eli texted on his phone. We stood awkwardly in silence. I couldn’t even stand being near him or looking at his cheesy mug. 

“So, what are you going to do?” I asked Eli finally. He glanced up at me for a moment. 

“Oh are you talking to me?” Eli asked childishly. I glared at him. 

“Yes I’m talking to you,” I said. “Our daughter is on a downward spiral and your acting like everything is ok. She was caught having sex in school for god’s sake.”