Chapter 7: Detention with Badboy

Katherine's POV:
The next few days were the definition of boring. The same old routine continued. Today was Wednesday. Midweek. I didn't really like Wednesdays. It wasn't exactly close to the weekends, but it definitely wasn't the start of the week. So here I was in Math class thinking about why I don't really like Wednesdays when the teacher calls out, "Ms.Barron what would be the answer to this question?"

Uh great I'm caught daydreaming. I look up to the board and all I see is french. I like Math. I really do. But when you pick on me in front of the whole class while I am daydreaming, my brain decides not to function.

"I'm sorry ma'am I don't really know"

"Ms.Barron this is the third time I've explained this today! I shall not tolerate this kind of attitude towards education!"

"I'm sorry ma'am it won't happen again. I'll pay more attention."

Just then my phone decides to ring. And obviously the volume is on the highest level. And obviously Uptown Funk will be blaring from the device of doom. Great. I quickly decline the call without even seeing the caller ID.

"Ms.Barron have you been using your cellphone during class? Detention right now!"

I don't even bother responding because her face resembles the devil itself. This is the first time I'll ever be going for detention. Well there is a first time for everything right? I quickly pick up my stuff and take the slip from her and just as I am about to walk out of the class, the little device in my hand starts to play Uptown Funk all over again. The class bursts out in laughter while I sheepishly look at the teacher and run out the class.

I look down to see my mom calling me. Really mom? Really? I sigh and reluctantly answer the call. Before I can even say a single word-

"Young lady, you do not, I repeat don not decline my call ever! Do you understand? Especially when it's such an important matter! Where were you? And please do explain why didn't you answer my call?"

I groaned and answered, "Mom I obviously was skipping school and smoking joint outside the school gates!" Yeah I get hella sarcastic when I'm in this mood.

"WHAT?!"

"Relax mom,I was in math class and you called, my phone wasn't on silent and the teacher thought I was using my phone in class and gave me a detention, thanks to you"

"Oh well it was an important matter so I couldn't help it. Now listen to me carefully. The Millers will be coming for dinner tonight and I wanted to tell you before hand so that you dress well." What? I look at my phone in disbelief. This is why she called me? This is the reason why I have a detention? Not to mention, but my very first detention!

"Mom please don't tell me you called me just to tell me to dress well?" I ask while rubbing my temples. Sometimes I wonder what is wrong with my mom.

"Honey, this is an important matter don't take it lightly. Also come straight home after school." She didn't even bother to wait for my reply and hung up.

I huffed and walked towards the detention hall. This is it. I stand in front of the door contemplating how bad it could be. Just as I open the door I see around five guys in the class. So apparently girls are all goody two shoes here. I walk up to the teacher who is peacefully asleep and slide my form underneath one of books. I look behind to see the infamous smirk. Jason Miller a.k.a the reason I'm in this room. I glare at him and take a seat as far away from the crowd as possible. I look around to see, two boys I think are the stoners of the school, people say they are always high. One boy who looks like he could care less where we are and one semi-decent looking boy sitting along with Jason. I think he is another popular kid, one of Jason's friends. Jason there is still smirking at me and I on the other hand am totally pissed off. One wrong move and I'll blow up.

I don't know what to do so I reach up to my bag and open up a book. Yeah I'm quite the nerd. I forgot to wear my contacts today so I'm wearing my glasses. After reading about two chapters I hear a chair move and someone walk up to me. I don't even have to look up to know that it's Jason.

"What do you want Jason?"

"Nothing"

"Why are you here?"

"It's a free country I can be wherever I want to be."

"Go away."

Instead of doing what I asked him to do, he pulls out a chair next to me and sits down. Then just to spite me more he bends to my desk to check which book I am reading.

"This book has a crappy ending." He comments.

I look to him in disbelief and ask, "You read? Especially these kind of books?"

He simply nods though I see his checks going a tad bit pink, "Yes genius, to survive in this school you have to read. By the way, what brings you to these great halls of detention?"

His question reminds of the reason I'm here and all my irritation is let loose. I point at him and answer, "You! You are the reason I'm here." Confusion flashes through his eyes while I continue my rant. "I was in Math class when my mom called to let me know that YOU would be coming for dinner today. If you weren't going to come, my mom wouldn't have to call and I wouldn't have got detention. God I'm glad Mrs.Black was kind hearted she could have suspended me for all I know! Oh gosh if I were suspended my whole future would have been destroyed. I would go grow old alone and jobless living on the streets with a cat named Olivia. I always liked the name Olivia. Wait that isn't the point. Yeah I'm here because of you!" I took a long breath after my monologue. Okay I do tend to blabber at such situations.

Suddenly the classroom is filled with laughter. I have to be lying if I say that's not a mesmerising sound. Soon I find myself laughing along with him.

At such moments I feel as if there is more to Jason Miller than he lets on.

_______________________________________________________
Hey guys!

Sorry for such a late update. Do comment below your views and suggestions. Don't forget to vote!

Xoxo
Maks 😘