𓆰 𝐨𝐧𝐞, 𝐯𝐨𝐥𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐚.

I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO TO ITALY, but I never anticipated going there with a husband I didn't love that I was forced to marry

I'd love to appreciate the rolling hills and gorgeous sunset, but his hand rests on my thigh and its all I can think about—and not in a good way.

The feeling of his skin on mine makes me shudder and the only thing I can think about is sliding away from him, leaving a large gap between us, but unfortunately, I can't. I have to comply and sit here like the perfect, happy wife.

We both know this marriage is a disgrace, not true and not filled with requited love, instead its fake and filled with hate on my part, I don't know what he feels, but I really couldn't care any less.

He must know it isn't genuine because he tries too hard to treat it as such. He forces me to keep up the act, punishing me if I don't act like the perfect trophy wife. He must know that the only way he will ever be with a woman is if shes forced into it. He must know I hate him and the tight dresses he makes me squeeze myself into. He must.

I keep my head turned towards the window, trying to ignore his touch.

"I was thinking we could go out to dinner later." Dan says. "This town apparently has some of the best restaurants in all of Italy."

I nod, not really interested in what he has to say.

"You also may hardly see me some days." He adds and that makes me turn my head to look at him this time. His muddy green eyes meet mine and I try not to smile at what he just told me.

Being away from Dan is like heaven to me. I get to do whatever I please without his reprimands or his judging eyes. I get to dress in whatever I want, not what he chooses and I get to actually act like myself.

Him being gone for prolonged periods of time or not being around is a rare occurrence, so I can't help but feel a little excited.

I try to stifle my smile. "Oh? Whys that?"

"The people I'm doing business with are tough, its hard to negotiate with them." He sighs and rubs his eyes with his fingers. "But I'm not backing down, they'll pay the price I want for what I have."

Dan sells and collects artifacts, or something—I don't really know what he does, just that he makes quite a bit of money and meets a lot of important people, like these three italian businesses men he's been speaking with over the phone. He really doesn't need to do this, hes already incredibly rich thanks to his dead, wealthy father, its really just a hobby or greed.