Chapter 9. The Newspaper Says It All

Basil still plays his violin tune while emma still stands there with dawson while watching basil playing the violin while still sitting on his red chair sideways, dawson lays his left hand to emma’s right shoulder which startles her a bit, so she turns her head to dawson and knows it's just him. “You've done brave, emma.” Dawson said deep down to emma’s soul and then smiles, so emma smiles to dawson back, dawson releases emma's shoulder, turns to hiram and olivia to see how they're doing after emma introduced herself to basil, so she turns her head to them too as welp. “Oh, hey, dawson and emma, how's her introduction going??” Hiram asked dawson wondering happily along with olivia, “Welp…it was something…” dawson answered in a confusing way as he scratches the back of his head, “Huh…?? What do you mean, dawson??” Hiram asks confusingly to dawson, wondering what’s going on.

“Welp…” Dawson starts to explain to hiram, “She was a little nervous for basil, at least she was a bit brave.” “Oh, I see…” Said hiram, so the red-headed mouse starts to think a bit until the idea popped up from his head, “I think I might have another home tour for you, emma.” Said hiram, “Really??” Emma said to hiram and wonders what his idea might be, “My home tour, “Flaversham’s Toy Shop”, You will love it there, emma.” Hiram smiles to emma, so he begins to save his reminding to emma for his home tour, emma smiles the excitement to hiram, so she waits after basil’s home. While emma takes a look around the residence, she notices something in dawson’s back pocket on the left, inside the pocket is that same newspaper, the newspaper that says about ratigan returning, she stares the white paper with her lime colored eyes for minutes.

She was curious about what she notices what is in dawson’s back pocket, so she slowly grabs and pulls the rolled-up newspaper out of the pocket, unfolds the newspaper slowly, begins to read it. But, while reading what’s happening on the newspaper, she notices the black and white picture of ratigan and it says that ratigan has officially recovered from the unconscious and has returned to his hideout, she gasped in shock as she reacted shockingly about ratigan’s return, her lime-colored pupils became tiny because of how shocked her expression and reaction is. Dawson turns his head to emma after hearing her shocking gasp, “Emma, what’s wrong!?” Dawson asked emma in a worried way, Emma is still shocked from her reaction, so she shows dawson the newspaper, the same paper that dawson saw while in the café with basil.

“Oh, no need to worry about that emma…” Dawson confronted emma as he explains to her, “He’s not really returning…You see, basil had once told me and olivia that basil tried to capture him for years, which could be his…biggest enemy, maybe his…childhood enemy I believe…??” Dawson still had his pretends about ratigan not returning, “I didn’t wanna say it out loud because it might make basil a bit frustrating…” Dawson continues whispering out to emma, “So let's just believe ratigan’s is not returning, ok??” Emma nods her head as a yes silently and begins to agree with dawson and believes for his pretends. She now knows she does not want basil to get mentally angry if he finds out about ratigan’s return, she now turns her head back to dawson and the others and continues on what they’re doing.

Ms. Judson spoke and calls the others for the cheese crumpets, “Hey, There's some cheese crumpets if y’all want some!!” Judson hollered to them, emma turns her head to where Ms. Judson just went, so she went and decided where the cheese crumpets are, dawson and the others except basil follows emma somewhere in the dining room or the kitchen, so here she is in the dining room where the cheese crumpets are, sitting on the table, waiting for anyone to eat them, emma stares at the crumpets for a minute, picks up a crumpet with her hand, took a bite out of it, and then, she finds taste of Ms. Judson’s crumpets very good, and she enjoyed it, so she decides to grab another cheese crumpet and took another bite out of them. “Wow!!” Emma said with her mouth full, “They taste so good!! How did you do that!?”

Ms. Judson smiles to emma eating the crumpets, “Oh, just by using one of the recipes that helped me.” Said Ms. Judson as she remembers the recipes in her head, and the previous times before dawson and olivia came for the case, she was baking them. Emma pauses her eating and decides to let the crumpets sit there again just to save them for dawson and the others, olivia runs up to the dining room where emma is, olivia gets on her tippy toes to reach the table with her head so that she could be able to see the crumpets, emma smiles and giggles to olivia, so she gives olivia one of the cheese crumpets, as she has the crumpet in her tiny hands, she begins to take a bite out of the crumpet, and then, she finds the taste very good. Olivia enjoys the crumpets too as welp, “Daddy!! You should come try these, they taste very good!!” Olivia said happily to her father, Hiram giggles to his daughter.

Meanwhile with basil again, he already relaxed during his violin time in peace and continues on, while dawson and the others enjoying their times, eating the cheese crumpets, as his violin times, the radio automatically turns on with the MDN (Which stands for Mousedom News), The MDN has something what’s going on today and is about to say it. “Breaking News in the Mousedom!!” Said the male voice in the radio, basil begins listening to the news, and so does dawson and the others, “As we interrupt the broadcast by news, you guys won’t believe your eyes and ears, so listen very carefully.” The news breaker has began to speak the real news, “The World’s Greatest Criminal Mind, has officially been recovered and is returning to his hideout!!” Basil stops his violin quickly like in an aggressive way, so he continues on listening, “It goes by the name, “Professor Ratigan”!!”

Dawson, Hiram, and Olivia gasps in fear, basil slowly heavily breathes as he had a shocking expression from the reaction from what the news had said in basil’s ears, “D-Daddy…?? Could that be true…!?” Olivia stutters in a cold, scared voice, hiram was scared and nervous too, “I thought he was gone for good!!” Hiram said in a frustrating way, emma grabs the newspaper and looks at it again, she gasps again but quietly, it’s the same newspaper dawson had in his pocket, “The newspaper must be right!!” Emma said to dawson, “The rumors on the newspaper is true!!” Dawson looks at the newspaper emma’s holding, he gasps in shock silently, his pupils are shrunk tiny, “They’re right…” Dawson said in a nervous quiet voice, “He IS coming back!!” dawson said loudly and fearful, basil begins hyperventilating slowly, “no no no no no no no…” basil said to himself.

“This can’t be real…!!” Basil continues panicking, while heavily breathing slowly, Dawson looks at basil confusingly, so he walks up to basil to see if he’s ok. “Basil…??” Dawson calls his name out, “You alright…??” But there’s no answer from basil, just some panic breathing, dawson waited but decides to ask him again, “Basil…” dawson slowly reaches his hand out to touch basil’s shoulder, but as he tries to reach the shoulder, it stopped by basil turning his head quickly, and aggressive his expression looked now, his eyes began glowing green, “NOT ANYMORE, DAWSON!!” Basil shouted at dawson, dawson quickly pulls his hand back, and feared from his reaction, this is his second time he reacted to basil’s eyes glowing green, the short flashback when basil had his “idea” while he and dawson are both in a mousetrap, so the flashback has ended with dawson witnessing basil’s eyes.

“DOES IT LOOK LIKE I’M OK TO YOU!?!?” Basil shouted aggressively again, emma, hiram, and olivia hugged each other as they’re protecting each other from what’s going on with basil, “Ratigan’s Returning…I THOUGHT I FINALLY BEATED HIM IN THE BIG BEN FIGHT!!” Basil shouts again as he slowly goes insane, “Basil, Snap out of it!!” Dawson tries confronting basil, but failed, “I’VE TRIED CAPTURING HIM FOR YEARS!!” Basil shouted, basil runs up to his knight armor stand to get the axe from the armor, “Basil, Are you crazy!?!?” Dawson tries to confront him again, “He should've died, dawson…and now he has to…PAY!!” Basil begins to aim from the axe to the ratigan picture, dawson turns his head to the gang, so he runs up to them, tells them to run to the exit, so they agreed and then they began to run for their lives to the exit, basil threw the axe at the ratigan picture, the glass shatters from the frame of the picture.

The witness has officially begun.