Chapter 8

Althea purposely hung back towards the back of the group to avoid Ghost. She made her way toward the boats, her footsteps determined but cautious. As Althea approached the line of boats, she felt a sense of unease wash over her. The last boat in the line was the only one with a seat left, and it was right next to Ghost. She groaned. Of course, this would happen.

She eyed the space between the railing and Ghost. He was quite large. She had almost forgotten how tall he was. Althea was not by any means short, either. She was 5'8, which she thought was relatively tall. He took up the entire seat, and then a little more. There was not as much space in the seat next to him as she had hoped.

Taking a deep breath, Althea steeled herself and climbed into the boat. She kept her gaze forward, avoiding any direct eye contact with Ghost, who was already seated. The tension in the air was palpable, but she focused on preparing her gear for the upcoming journey. She squeezed into the seat, feeling uncomfortable. Ghost made no sign of moving to the side. Althea's entire side was pressed against him. She grimaced, trying to move away, but the boat was slick with water. Whenever she tried to slide up a bit, the curved seat made her slide back down.

The boat's engine roared to life, and the vessel began to glide through the water. The rhythmic sound of the waves against the hull provided a backdrop to the silence between Althea and Ghost. She realized a bit too late that this was her first time on a boat. 

Time seemed to stretch as the boat journeyed onward. Althea couldn't help but steal a few glances at Ghost from the corner of her eye. His face was set in a stern expression, his jaw clenched, and his body language radiated a clear distaste for the situation. Spasmodic fits of rain poured onto them, and even Althea's raincoat couldn't keep out the cold seeping into her bones. She could take a bullet, so she could survive a boat ride, right?

The boat lurched and swayed, and Althea soon found herself clutching onto the railing of the boat. She felt like she was going to be sick. The boat lurched again, making her swing forward. She closed her eyes and let out a quiet groan, shivering. As the boat continued its course, Althea found herself growing more restless due rocking of the ship. She was determined not to let it show, but her thoughts were increasingly preoccupied with the thrashing and lurching of the ship. The cold water seeping into her skin didn't help matters either.

Despite her determination not to show it, Althea's struggle with seasickness was becoming more apparent by the minute. The relentless swaying of the boat combined with the constant splashing of cold mist was taking a toll on her. She clenched her jaw, willing herself to hold on, but her face grew paler, and a subtle green tinge began to color her complexion. The railing next to her that she was clutching for dear life was slick with rain and didn't stop her from getting swung around.

Ghost, seemingly oblivious to her internal battle, continued to stare ahead, his expression unchanging. He seemed to be fine. The motions of the boat didn't seem to affect him at all. In fact, he barely moved when the boat swung.  Althea's pride kept her from asking for help, especially from him. She knew she couldn't let herself appear weak in front of someone like Ghost. He would surely exploit all her weaknesses the moment they became known. But as another strong wave hit the boat, her grip on the railing faltered, and she couldn't suppress a grimace.

The next time the boat lurched, she braced herself against the railing, prepared to be flung again. However, something held her back this time. She opened her eyes and saw that Ghost had held out his arm to stop her from being thrown forward. He didn't look at her, just kept staring straight ahead. Althea froze, a bit confused. She looked up at him, a faint thank you almost leaving her lips. For some reason, she said nothing. Althea thought she should have said thank you, but the moment had passed. Ghost retracted his arm, and they continued sitting there as if nothing had happened.

Cold mist splashed in from the sea, drenching her and the other soldiers. However, the side of her that was pressed against Ghost was warm. He seemed to radiate heat, and as she sat there, she slowly stopped attempting to shift away from him.

The warmth of his touch and the reassurance of his support briefly eased her discomfort. She felt a mix of gratitude and frustration. Why did he have to be the one next to her? Althea knew she needed to get a grip on her seasickness; she couldn't afford to be distracted, especially now.

With renewed determination, she focused on her breathing, trying to match it with the rhythm of the boat. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. She kept her eyes fixed on the horizon, using it as a stable point of reference to combat the disorienting sway. The sounds of the waves and the boat's engine became almost hypnotic, helping to distract her from her queasy stomach.

Minutes turned into what felt like hours, and slowly, the relentless churning of her stomach began to subside. The cold seeping into her skin no longer felt as biting, and she found herself instinctively shifting slightly closer to Ghost, seeking his warmth. As the boat continued its journey, Althea allowed herself to relax incrementally, her body adjusting to the motion of the waves.

Her thoughts started to wander away from her discomfort and toward the mission ahead. She mentally reviewed the plan, visualizing the objectives and strategizing for different scenarios. Ghost's presence beside her, while initially unsettling, hadn't actually been that bad.

Eventually, the boat's motion began to feel almost soothing, and Althea's internal struggle with seasickness started to fade into the background. 

---------------------------------------------

A/N: Thanks for reading guys! I hope you enjoyed it :)