Chapter 12

Althea had never been more happy to see land again. When the boat docked, she was the first to get out. She eagerly leaped out of the boat back onto dry land. However, her excitement was short-lived. The whole world felt like it was spinning.

She held back the urge to lean over and throw up. Normally it took a great amount of effort to get Althea to stumble. She could walk across a tightrope easily without stumbling, but now, something was very wrong. Her legs felt like they could no longer support, her, and her feet were not as agile as usual. The seasickness had really gotten to her. She decided to avoid boat rides at all costs.

She was just recovering when a hand grabbed her arm, painfully tight. She flinched, jerking away. She quickly freed her arm, turning to glare. A voice she hadn't heard before spoke up. "Easy there." It was a soldier part of Shadow Company. He gave her a friendly smile, reaching for her again, but she smacked his hand away. She had a terrible feeling about this. "I don't need help." She could still feel his hand on her arm. Althea shivered, trying to shake off the feeling.

His expression turned sour. "Ungrateful bitch. At least say thank you."

Althea scoffed. "Fine. Thanks." She turned to leave.

"I know a different way you can thank me." He smirked, a lewd gleam in his eyes that made her feel disgusting. He reached out to grab her hair, almost succeeding, but Althea dodged him, leaving him fumbling. She grabbed him by the back of his hair and gave him a swift crack across his left cheek. The spot on his face immediately began to swell.

The chatter from the other soldiers grew still, a hushed silence descending as they watched. She felt their gazes on her, so Althea hit him again, this time with the heel of her palm right on a pressure point on his back, making him collapse. He crumpled to the ground, his confidence reduced to pained groans.

She had learned many things during her time in the military, one of the many things being that men, no matter how noble will always give in to their urges and take advantage of others to make themselves feel bigger. She would always fend for herself, because if she let one person get cuddly with her, next it was a hand groping at her chest, or a try at her when no one was watching. Her hand throbbed now. Dark crimson dotted her skin, although she couldn't tell whose blood it was.

Graves pushed his way to the front of the crowd of soldiers. He was fuming. "What the hell is going on here?" His gaze burned into Althea, but she just nonchalantly shrugged. "Nothing sir. I was just defending myself." He glanced at the soldier on the floor groaning and crying.

The sorry excuse of a soldier was helped up by his comrades- with difficulty, Althea noted proudly- and decided to play the victim. "Sir, I was just minding my own business and then this girl just attacked me!"

Graves turned back towards Althea and raised his eyebrows. "Doesn't look like self-defense." Althea scoffed, but before she could protest he interrupted her, his voice loud, making Althea cringe. "Apologize. Now."

Althea glared at him. "No." He stepped closer, lowering his voice to a growl. "Whisper. Apologize."

She squared her shoulders. "I will not apologize for defending myself against one of your men."

He massaged his temples, his face turning a crimson color. "Listen, I don't have time to deal with you today. I'll let your Lieutenant decide your punishment this time, but next time this happens, you will be discharged from the military. I'll make sure of it." He pushed past her, walking away.

As Althea turned to leave, the soldier she had hit leered at her. "You think anyone will believe a little girl like you? You don't belong here. You should've just taken it and been grateful." Althea feinted a lunge towards him, making him flinch back. She smirked triumphantly, but the fire that had been in her eyes before had vanished. No matter how well she did, she knew that he was right. Nobody would ever respect her.

A/N: I really don't know how to write but I hope this chapter was good enough! Thank you so much for reading!!!