Chapter 40

Ghost had been watching Althea discreetly from the other side of the deck ever since they had arrived. He wouldn't admit it (even to himself), but all the while he was worried for her. He felt as if it was his duty to look out for her. But there was another reason, one he kept trying to push out of his mind as his eyes traveled over the bodice of the deep red dress. He shouldn't be thinking of someone like this right now, especially not his teammate. She sat down with Soap, the slit in the side of her dress opening up more to her thigh, and Ghost immediately averted his eyes, warmth spreading to his cheeks. Fucking hell... that goddamn dress.

When she had walked over to speak with him, lips brushing his ear and her breath against his face... it had sent an electric shock through him, making shivers run down his spine.

"Ghost?" He realized he had been lost in his thoughts, not listening to what she was saying. He cleared his throat.

"Sorry, what were you saying?"

"Do you have tea in there?" She gestured to the flask in his hand.

The corner of his mouth visibly quirked up. "Nope. Bourbon this time."

Althea, adjusting her mask with a playful smirk, spoke. "You know, for someone called 'Ghost,' you're not very good at blending in."

Ghost arched an eyebrow beneath his mask, his tone dry. "Oh? And I suppose your radiant presence is the epitome of stealth?"

She chuckled, her laughter a soft, melodious not in the elegant ballroom. "Touché. But at least I don't have people wondering if I'm the phantom of the masquerade ball."

Ghost feigned offense, his gloved hand over his heart. "Ouch, Agent. That cut deep. I'll have you know, being enigmatic is an art form."

Althea grinned. "An art form you've clearly mastered. Perhaps you can give me some lessons."

"Ah, but then I'd have to reveal my secrets," Ghost replied, his voice a low, velvety murmur.

Price, who had been discreetly observing from a distance, spoke through his radio, his voice sounding through their earpieces. His mask concealed his expression, but his voice was low and commanding. "We've identified several individuals who might have information on Hassan's plans. Keep your eyes open, but don't draw attention to yourselves. Blend in and gather information discreetly. The missile launch is in three hours."

Althea turned to Ghost. "Looks like we have a little time."

He stepped closer to her, never breaking eye contact. "Looks like we do."

He raised a gloved hand to use his fingers to trace the edge of her mask, adjusting it slightly. The masquerade had granted them anonymity, but this moment felt like a secret within a secret. His fingers traced a path of destruction across her cheek.

His lips found her ear, his voice a low murmur that only she could hear amidst the bustling masquerade ball.

"Agent Whisper, may I just say you look absolutely... exquisite in that dress tonight."

Althea was suddenly glad for the mask, for she was sure that her cheeks were practically glowing red. Her voice came out more breathy than intended, whispering back to him.

"And you, Lieutenant, your charm is almost as dangerous as our mission tonight." The space between them was charged with tension, and in this stolen moment, surrounded by the grandeur of the ship's ballroom and the impending danger, their roles as agents blurred together, but the line between what they wanted and what they should be doing was growing increasingly thin.

He looked down at her, light lashes brushing his cheeks. He leaned in tantalizingly close, and Althea could smell the scent of his cologne mixed with the light aroma of bourbon.

He hesitated, watching her expression carefully as he leaned in, pressing a soft kiss to her lips.

The sensation of Ghost's lips on hers sent a delightful shiver down Althea's spine. It was a chaste yet intimate gesture. His lips were unbelievably soft, and his scent left her senses reeling. He kissed her in an almost reverent way, different from anything she had ever experienced. It felt like adrenaline, it felt like the churning sea. It felt like comfort.

He tasted like alcohol and a forbidden promise.

At that moment, she felt as if she were on that ship again, feeling the vibrations of the explosion of the other boat. She could feel the explosion of emotion in her chest, resounding all around her. She could feel the heat of the fire burning inside her.

It held her captive, and she couldn't stay away.

As they lingered in that fleeting moment, the world around them seemed to fade into the background. The grand masquerade ball, the opulent decorations, and the hushed conversations of the partygoers all melted away, leaving only the two of them in their cocoon of stolen time.

But just as quickly as it had begun, Ghost pulled away, his eyes locking onto hers with a mixture of desire and determination. The urgency of their mission pressed upon them, a reminder that they couldn't afford to lose themselves entirely to the allure of the masquerade.

With a soft, regretful smile, Althea spoke in a voice filled with unspoken promises, "We'll talk after the mission."

Ghost nodded in agreement, the unspoken understanding between them reaffirmed. Their roles as agents came first, but the promise of what lay beyond the mission lingered in the air, a tantalizing prospect that fueled their resolve. He had so many things he wanted to say to her.

They turned their attention back to the task at hand, knowing that they had to blend in, gather information, and stop Hassan's sinister plans before the missile launch. The masquerade continued around them, but they were not just attendees; they were operatives on a mission, navigating the treacherous waters of the ballroom with a shared purpose and a burning desire to succeed.

A/N: I'm cramming for like five exams right now and listening to song recommendations you guys left on one of my chapters lol, they're all really great. Please leave more recommendations if you can! (Help I'm being buried in homework)

Thank you all for reading!! It makes me so happy when I see all of your comments and votes (I know I'm writing almost the same thing at the end of every chapter I'm running out of creativity). But fr though, I appreciate seeing all of you enjoying my book! Seeing you happy makes me happy :)