Chapter 16

Ghost and Althea moved with calculated precision through the labyrinthine city streets, shrouded in the dim light of the waning evening sun. Every footfall was soft, every corner they turned taken with caution, for the city was not theirs alone. It belonged, in part, to the sinister figures known as the Shadows.

Ghost maintained a constant stream of hushed instructions over his radio, ensuring that Soap, their third member, would find his way to the rendezvous point. This mission was as high stakes mi- "Quite the opposite." He spoke again, this time his voice smug. Never mind, Althea had no idea what he was talking about now. She rolled her eyes at his flirty tone.

Their destination, an ancient chapel, loomed ahead. Its steeple pierced the darkening sky like an accusing finger pointing toward the heavens. Ghost, a master sniper, knew this vantage point was essential to their plan. He climbed the worn stone steps that led to the roof, careful to make no noise. Althea, a fierce and agile guardian, took up her post by the door leading to the rooftop.

Amidst the quiet tension, Althea's keen ears picked up the ominous echoes of footsteps, growing nearer with every passing moment. She gripped the handle of her knife, ready for the confrontation that was sure to come. Ghost's whisper carried over the radio, keeping Soap informed of their progress.

Then, a sudden eruption of commotion from below shattered the eerie stillness. Ghost's sniper rifle barked, the shot echoing through the night. Althea held her breath, her heart pounding in her chest. She hoped the shot had found its mark.

As the echoes faded, Althea felt a surge of unease. The door to the rooftop burst open, and menacing shadows spilled forth, their eyes glinting with malevolence. Panic clawed at her insides, but she steadied herself. There was no room for fear.

"Shit. Ghost! Shadows!" she shouted into her radio, her voice filled with urgency.

Ghost's response crackled through the earpiece. "Johnny! Got company in the church, and they're not here for forgiveness. Get to the steps, we'll be there."

With a quick, fluid motion, Ghost and Althea descended the chapel's winding steps, their synchronized movements born of years of training. Althea, her nerves of steel, turned and launched a knife toward one of the approaching shadows. The blade found its mark, sinking deep into the shadow's neck. A wicked grin crept across her face. "Bingo."

They rounded the final corner, and there, at the church's entrance, stood Soap, his face etched with tension and relief. "Ghost!"

Ghost and Althea sprinted towards the church steps, their boots thudding against the cold stone pavement. The night air was thick with tension, and the urgency of their situation pressed upon them like a leaden weight. Shadows converged from all directions, closing in on the trio.

Soap, his combat instincts honed to perfection, raised his weapon as Ghost and Althea drew near. The church entrance, once a symbol of solace, was now a battleground. The trio formed a protective triangle, ready to defend their position against the encroaching Shadows.

Ghost, now reunited with Soap, spared no time for pleasantries. "Stay close. Keep a heads up for a vehicle we can take."

Althea pointed ahead. "Pickup truck!"

Ghost ran ahead. "Get in! I'll drive." Althea rolled her eyes. She just hoped he could drive. Soap climbed into the passenger seat and Althea jumped into the back of the truck, immediately starting to shoot down soldiers running at them.

The pickup truck roared to life, its engine growling like a caged beast unleashed. Ghost's hands gripped the steering wheel, and he accelerated down the darkened streets. He ran over two shadows in their way, plowing through them.

"Jesus fuck! Ghost!" She wasn't sure what she expected, but it surely wasn't that.

"What? It's just another solution." He sped down the streets, only accelerating faster. Watching him drive, Althea was shocked beyond words. He was a terrible driver. He almost ran over pedestrians crossing the road and almost collided with another car as he whizzed past. Althea was terrified. Soap, however, howled with laughter, yelling for him to go faster. Althea just groaned, hoping that this little joyride would be over soon. 

A/N: I know this man cannot drive worth a damn and you can't convince me otherwise.

THANKS FOR READING!!! I love all of your sweet and funny comments, they always make me laugh. I APPRECIATE YOU FOR READING SO MUCH I'M NOT EVEN KIDDING I LOVE YOU!!