Chapter 11

The ride back on that boat was just as bad for Althea as the trip to the rig. Althea and Ghost were sitting in the same spots as when they came. The boat was still packed, leaving barely any room. Althea clutched the ship's railing, her knuckles turning white as the vessel bobbed up and down on the tumultuous waves. The pungent smell of saltwater mixed with the acrid stench of her own unease, creating a nauseating cocktail that seemed to permeate the very air around her. Her dark hair whipped around in the wind. She had let her hair grow out. She always thought of cutting it off but never found the time. Either way, it was almost always tied into a tight bun so it didn't make much of a difference to her either way.

Every lurch of the ship sent her heart racing and her grip on the railing tightened. She closed her eyes, hoping to find some solace in darkness, but it only seemed to worsen the sensation of being adrift on a stormy sea. She could hear the creaking of the ship's timbers and the relentless drumming of rain on the deck, each a reminder of her entrapment in this floating torment. Perhaps she was being a bit dramatic.

As the ship dipped into a particularly deep trough of water, Althea's breathing quickened. She pressed a hand to her mouth, her breath shallow as she fought the rising tide of nausea. She knew that surrendering to it would mean a humiliating display in front of the crew and the other passengers, but the battle between her body and her willpower was growing more fierce by the minute.

In an attempt to distract herself, Althea glanced at Ghost and raised an eyebrow. "You know, they say personal space is important for teamwork. Guess that didn't make it into the mission briefing?"

Ghost's gaze remained fixed on the horizon for a moment before he turned to her. "Well, Whisper, if you're trying to be my shadow, you're doing a pretty convincing job." He spoke with a somewhat sardonic tone.

Woah. Althea had no idea Ghost had the capability to come up with something original to say. Most of the soldiers she met didn't even bother to talk to her. Especially because she was a woman in a sea of men. She was one of the only non-white male soldiers everywhere she went. Most laughed when they saw who was going to be the stealth operator for their missions.

Althea's lips twitched into a half-smile. "Shadow? More like an 'unwilling seatmate.' It's all about adapting to the situation, right?"

Ghost shifted in his seat. "Adapting, huh? I guess I didn't get the memo about cozy boat rides."

Althea feigned a dramatic sigh. "You know, I heard somewhere that close proximity fosters trust. Maybe that's why they put us together."

Ghost raised an eyebrow "Is that so? Well, I suppose you're going to show me the wonders of trust-building then?"

Althea smirked. "Absolutely. But just so you know, I draw the line at sharing my knives."

Ghost scoffed. "Fair enough. I've got my own gear, thanks."

Ghost leaned back, allowing Althea a bit more space. "You know, for someone who can handle knives like that, you sure seem to prefer them over boats."

Althea sighed. "Well, coming here was actually my first time on a boat, so this would make it my second." The ship swung again, making her stomach churn. "I didn't think that riding a boat would be this tortuous." She grimaced and glanced around at all the other soldiers. How did they keep from losing their lunch?

Ghost quickly changed the subject again. "See? We're building trust already."

Althea chuckled. "Let's not get carried away. We're just two operatives trying not to tip the boat."

Althea leaned towards Ghost. "You know, I've heard rumors that you're not even human. A robotic killing machine, perhaps?"

Ghost's response was wry. "I assure you, I have emotions. I'm just very selective about showing them."

Althea grinned. "Ah, the strong, silent type. Classic."

He raised an eyebrow. "Was that supposed to be a compliment or an insult?"

Althea laughed, a warm feeling filling her chest. He was smirking now. She could tell from how the corners of his eyes crinkled slightly. "It depends on how you take it."

She could practically sense his smug expression from a mile away. "I'll take it as a bit of both then." Ghost cleared his throat, his gaze locking on to hers. "By the way, you wouldn't happen to know where my wallet disappeared to, would you?"

Althea stiffened, remembering his wallet in her pocket that she had stolen. She sighed, digging through her pocket for his wallet. She was going to return the wallet... eventually. It had just slipped her mind. At least that's what she told herself.

"How did you know it was me?"

He shrugged. "I felt you take it. I just didn't say anything."

He reached for it, but Althea held it just out of his reach. "I'll give it back if you tell me what the S stands for in S. Riley."

Ghost could have stood and easily gotten it back from her, but he didn't. He blinked at her and raised his eyebrows. "Why do you want to know my name?"

Althea shrugged. "Well, you did save my life back there. And I owe you a cup of tea now. I think I should know your name."

He hesitated, contemplating whether or not it was worth it to tell her. "It stands for Simon." He paused, waiting.

"Can I have my wallet back now?"

Althea handed the wallet back to him. "Well, Simon, next time I steal your wallet I might take some money out to buy something to eat."

"Next time you steal my wallet I'm throwing you off the boat."

"If you throw me off the boat I'm putting a bomb in your pocket." Althea shivered. "I hate getting wet." Ghost just rolled his eyes, leaning back into the seat to get more comfortable, ignoring Althea's groans and pleas for air. Althea was squished against the railing again, making her sigh in exasperation. He was intolerable. She turned her attention back to the water, watching it foam as the boat cut through it, churning the deep blues. She fixed her eyes on the horizon, finally able to relax on the boat ride. She felt oddly warm, and not just because she was being squashed against Ghost.

It was only after they had arrived back on land that Althea realized that Ghost had distracted her so much, she no longer felt seasick.

A/N: I'm posting a lot of chapters because I hope that if somebody decides to read the book they can read it earlier, but I might make a few changes. None of them will be too big though :)

IF YOU READ THIS THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING THIS FAR!!! I LOVE YOU!!! I'm going to post again soon, I hope you have fun reading this book.