Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"Bells." A soft voice calls out to me as a hand gently strokes my fur. Opening my heavy eyes, I shift to see Liam kneeling before me, his blonde hair dripping wet. The pattering of rain and the blaring of thunder sounds in the background and I sigh. My powers have gone out of control but the pain of the rejection stabs into me like a sharp jagged knife making me unable to calm my emotions.
"Bells, talk to me." Liam pleads, his fingers gently running through my fur and calming me slightly. I whimper, nuzzling his hand as I shuffle my body closer to my friend. He smiles gently at me, his arms wrapping around my neck as his calming scent rushes over me.
[He rejected me.] My voice is quiet but by the way Liam stiffens I know he has heard me through our link.
"Do you want to leave?" He asks, his hands gently cupping my face. I nod, too emotionally exhausted to continue talking. I watch his eyes glaze over and a wait.
[Issabella, Liam just told me.] My mother's voice pushing into my mind as she softly coos to me. I whimper, allowing the pain to seep into our bond and hear a loud gasp in my mind.
[Oh darling. Your father and I can't leave but we have two maids packing your things.] My eyes close as I listen to my mother, thankful for her understanding and glad to know that I won't have to spend another day here in Frost Moon. Liam rests my head on his lap, his fingers resuming combing through my fur.
[How will I get to the plane?] I ask quietly, my mother sighing.
[We have a car ready and will be waiting for you. You just need to come back to the pack house for a brief moment just to get into the car.] She answers patiently. I wag my tail, looking up at Liam who gives me a reassuring smile. He's been through the rejection; been through the pain and heart break it causes. He is the only person I know can help me through it.
[Can Liam stay with me?] I ask hopefully, my eyes never leaving Liams.
[Yes. He can stay with you.] Relieved, I pull away from Liam and stand on shaky legs. Liam smiles, standing beside me and supporting me.
"When was the last time you ate?" His deep voice is filled with worry, his eyes staring into mine with deep concern.
[Before the tour.] I answer, realizing how weak and dizzy I feel.
"Bells that was two days ago." He nearly growls out. Eyes widening, I think about how long I have been asleep and come up empty. I thought its only been a few hours, not a few days. Running his fingers through my fur, I see his eyes glaze over once more and wonder who he is linking. I don't have to wait long as his blue gaze lands on mine with a gentle smile.
"Your mother is having food be prepared. As soon as we get back, you can eat." Liam reassures me. The thought of food makes me feel sick. I did not want to eat but I have a feeling Liam will be watching me until I manage a few bites. He backs away from me slightly, giving me a wink until his bones begin to crack until his grey wolf stands before my black form. He gently pads over to me, nails clicking against the stone of the cave, before he nuzzles against me, resting his head against my neck protectively.
[Let me know when you are ready. I'll lead you to the car.] Liam's voice flitters through our link. I smile, happy to know that my friend is allowing me to go at my own pace. Happy that he isn't forcing me to return to the Frost Moon pack house as quick as possible. I don't want to face him, face the man that rejected me all because he believes I am a weak maid. Taking a few calming breaths, Liam's scent of pine and peppermint fills my nose. Soothing and calming compared to the too sweet scent of him.
[I'm ready.] Quietly stating this, Liam pulls away and nods, taking the lead. We exit the cave instantly becoming drenched by the rain but the downpour that once was falling from the sky is just a slow drizzle now.
[It seems your emotions are slowly becoming controlled again.] Liam praises, bumping into me playfully. I nod, deciding to ignore the praise knowing its just because I am no longer alone with the all consuming pain of rejection - and being able to leave Frost Moon soon - that allows me to temporarily control the rain to this degree. Liam seems to pick up on my not wanting to speak because the walk back becomes silent, my friend moving closer to my side and keeping me just in sight. No longer do I find the forest here bright and beautiful, instead its become a dull reminder that I am not wanted. Whimpering, my steps faulter and if it weren't for Liam helping to support me I would have fallen onto the forest floor. The rain starts to pelt down faster, causing me to shiver as bits of hail is mixed in. I feel cold, numb, and in pain.
[Hold on just a little longer Bells. We need to have decent weather to leave.] Liam breaks the silence, his words both soft and harsh snapping me out of the haze of pain. I take a deep breath, bringing his scent into me and soothing my mind. Liam is right, I need to hold out for now until I can make it safely to my Uncle's pack. Then I can focus on this shattered heart of mine. The rain slows once more but the hail remains, pelting Liam and I as we resume our walk to the pack house. It doesn't take long for the forest to end and the worried looks of Frost Moon pack members fill my gaze from where I stand. Guilty for the bad weather, I look to Liam who nudges me along the edges of the forest to the front of the pack house. I Hummer is waiting in front, a Maid standing outside with an umbrella and a blanket in her arms looking around searching for something. Behing her is a large tent and Liam nudges me in that direction. I follow him, Keeping his white wolf in my sight as we slowly pad in the rain to the dry shelter the tent will provide and watch as the maid's gaze lands on our figures and her brown eyes filling with relief.
[There are dry clothes in the tent. We can shift and dry up then directly leave in the Hummer.] Liam states as soon as I make it into the tent, the maid following after and placing the blanket over my body. Thankful for some cover, I focus on shifting the change taking longer than usual as I am slightly weaker from not eating. Fur recedes into my skin as bones realign themselves and I am left kneeling on the ground wrapped in the large blanket. Liam has already shifted and changed stating he will be going to see my parents before leaving me. The maid looks at me with worry, moving to close the tent doors before helping me to my feet.
"I know what happened, your mother told me." She states, wrapping me in her arms. Tears begin to fall from my eyes as I take in her warm scent of cinnamon and allow the smallest amount of heart break to course through me. The wing and rain picks up once more but I try my best to control the emotions I let out to not hinder our escape from Frost Moon.
"I am going to leave with you and Liam so lets get you dried and dressed Princess." I nod, thankful for the maid in not asking multiple questions and allowing me space to grieve. She sends me a friendly smile, one I try to return, before directing me to sit on the bench in the middle of the tent. She makes quick work of my raven hair, detangling the knots and braiding the damp strands. Once my hair is sorted, she helps me to dress in a large hoodie - one that smells like Liam - and a pair of leggings. The final part of my outfit is a pair of slippers that are fuzzy and soft on the inside, warming my feet instantly.
"My name is Macie. I'll let Liam know we are ready to leave." Macie smiles at me again, her light hearted mood easing the loneliness I feel inside me. The rain slows once more as Macie's eyes glaze over and soon Liam is opening the tent door, his blue eyes searching my face for a moment.
"I told Macie to use my hoodie on you. I don't think you wanted to wear something form fitting that your mother chose." He shrugs while walking towards me, pulling the hood over my head and scoops me into his arms, Laying my head against his shoulder, I smell the scent of raspberries and chocolate on the wind and know that Damon is nearby but I don't want to see him.
"Your father is distracting him. He wont see us leave." Liam reassure me as Macie holds a large umbrella over our heads while we exit the tent. We aren't outside for long when the hummer door opens and I find myself seated in Liam's lap inside the vehicle with Macie climbing into the front beside another guard. It is clear that my parents took care in making sure only Nightlock Thorns members are with me. The smell of food from beside me brings my attention to the need to eat. I feal sick from the pain but looking at Liam who stares at me with worry and brings out a chicken wrap and hands makes me not want to disappoint him. I thank him, taking small bites of the food as the vehicle roars to life and within seconds we are pulling away.
The pull from the broken mate bond demands me to turn around but I ignore it. I ignore the roar of an angry wolf that sounds from the pack house behind us and ignore the howl that vibrates through me as I take small bite after small bite of the food, finishing it and getting a relived sigh from everyone in the vehicle.
"Don't look back Issabella, only look forward." Liam whispers into my ear holding me tighter to his body as I yawn. He is right. Damon made it impossible for me to look back, for me to feel pity for him. Instead I need to look forward, to move on with my life. There will be no second chance mate for me as we wolves only get one true soul mate. But that doesn't mean I can't choose a mate when I am ready. Right now I want to focus on myself. Focus on learning to control my powers. Focus on healing my heart. Focus on making my nation stronger.
Right now though, I want to focus on not feeling the pain and the only way I know how to do it is to sleep. So sleep I do. When I wake up I will find myself in my uncle's pack.