Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"We have your cloak Princess." Macie states as she walks out of my closet, Kelly following behind her as the two bring a snow white cloak towards me. I smile at my maids, happy to have had them as my friends for the last few years as I trained to become an elegant Queen like my mother.
"The snow seems to be lighter today. You must be in a good mood!" Kelly exclaims happily as Maria helps me to my feet, the silver heels clicking on the wooden floor of my room.
"I am just thinking about how soon I will be taking the throne and my parents can retire." I shrug, allowing the two she-wolves to help drape the cloak over my shoulders. A knock on my door causes the two to smile slyly at each other, making me roll my eyes. Of course four the last six years one wolf has remain beside me, being there to help me train and study while also sneaking me out of the palace to hunt in this never ending winter.
"Bells, are you ready to go?" Liam asks as he enters my room, already dressed in a black and blue guards uniform, a sword hanging on his left side beside a loaded gun with silver bullets. My friend has grown and matured as well over the years, but I still remember his shocked face when we woke in the cabin to a blizzard outside. It took us a moment to realize the phenomena was caused by my numbness, his anxiety growing when he realized I choose to lock my emotions away. I just couldn't handle the pain, not in that moment.
He and Macie made it his mission to help me unlock each emotion, starting with happiness. For days, Macie would teach me how to cook in the little kitchen while Liam would take me out to chop firewood and build fires. Some days would be hard with the blizzard roaring on but on the fifteenth day I found myself laughing when Liam took a step out of the cabin and slipped on ice. The look on his face was something I could never forget as his wide eyes and girlish squeal of surprise finally brought something other than a monotonous smile out of me. That was the day the blizzard ended and my parents were finally able to come see me at the cabin. It was there I asked my mother for a few Tutors and my plan to return to the Palace within seven days. I became happier with my two friends, letting my parents know that I wanted Liam as my personal guard and Macie to join as my second maid. They were there for me when I needed patience and friends, it is only fitting that I kept them close.
"It seems Liam is your escort for the night!" Maria teases, bumping me with her shoulder. I blush, looking down as I walk towards Liam, his six-foot-four frame filling out with muscle and his boyish features becoming more rugged, more attractive, over the years.
"I am ready to go." I answer quietly, feeling my heart flutter. I don't know when it happened but some time ago my feelings for Liam shifted. I think it was that night we returned to the Palace, the snow slowly falling and covering the land when a sharp pain ripped through me. Liam cursed and helped me to my room, promising to hold me as Macie went to retrieve the Witch from her tower. Cassandra came rushing in, her body covered in snow as Kelly lit a fire in the fireplace of my room. What I learned next made what ever love I had for my mate vanish. It turned out that night he had bedded with another wolf, causing me immense pain. That night a blizzard covered Nightlock Thorn and plunged it into the never ending winter it is today.
"I will be by your side throughout the whole night. Its just that all Alphas and their Betas as well as their mates will be here with their mates. There will also be dignitaries from the other races." I catch the warning tone in Liam's voice and understand what he means. He will be here today and for the rest of the week during the celebrations. Taking Liam's hand, I bid farewell to the three she-wolves knowing they won't be able to join in the ceremony. I know though that I will have to recount everything to them later tonight when I go to bed.
Liam and I take our time walking down the corridors in silence, my hand still firmly held in his as he toys with the ring on my thumb. It will be a bit of a long walk since my room is in the north tower and farthest away from the throne room where the coronation will be held. I keep my gaze steadily in front of me, nodding at the guards that patrol the halls and smiling to the maids who curtsy to me in greeting. They all have smiles on their faces happy to see me finally take my rightful Place as Queen.
"Are you nervous Bells?" Liam asks leaning down to whisper in my ear. I suppress the shiver the runs down my spine, hoping that I am not blushing too hard.
"I am." I answer honestly as we descend the stairs that will take us to the entrance way of the Palace.
"This is the first time all the wolves under my reign will meet me. What if I trip in front of them!" Sighing, I pause on the first landing, hearing the hustle of guards leading wolves towards the throne room. It seems there are guests still arriving. Leaning over the railing to watch the hustle and bustle below, I catch the lightest trace of raspberries and chocolate, my heart feeling a pinch of pain. He really did come today.
"You won't trip Bells. You have been training under your etiquette Tutor how to walk like a Queen in heels. How to curtsy, bow and dance in them as well. Out of everyone here, only your mother is your equal in grace." Liam reassures me, gently pulling me away from the railing and into his arms. I take a deep breath, inhaling his scent and calm my beating heart. He is right, I have trained for this moment the last six years. Wrapping my arms around Liam, I lean into his hug and allow myself to be in the moment, a simple time for just the two of us, before I pull away and straighten my dress. The last thing the two of us need is a scandal on my coronation day.
"Shall we go?" I ask, giving my friend a bright smile as I climb down a few steps. He nods, following behind me as we descend the staircase once more, the chatter of the guests quieting down as the last of the stragglers are ushered into the throne room.
[Isabella, everyone is seated now.] My father links me, his voice unable to hold the pride he has for me.
[Liam and I are outside now. We can begin the coronation.] I reply back, taking a deep breath as I come to stand outside the closed doors to the throne room. Trumpets blare the sounds of my arrival, the two guards standing on either side of the entrance giving me a nod before turning to face the doors. I can feel Liam behind me, his scent wrapping around me. He will always have my back and for that I am grateful.
"Her royal highness, Princess Isabella Nightlock of Nightlock Thorns." A voice announces loudly, the guards pushing the doors open on command as the sound of a march plays from the trumpets blare throughout the room. I straighten my back, head held high as I take slow measured steps into the throne room, all eyes on me as the guests stand before bowing with respect. I can feel his eyes on me, feel the heated gaze of my mate as I walk down the center of the room, my focus on my parents standing in front of the lone throne, their eyes filled with pride. I can tell my mother wants to cry, knowing that this moment should have been for Rider and that I should have been standing beside my parents as my brother was crowned King. But fate has other plans and now I stand here alone. I rub my thumb along the ring – my brother's ring – and send a silent prayer hoping that my brother is looking down from the Goddess' court watching me.
Finally, I stand before my parents at the bottom of the stairs, staring at them silently as I wait for the next part of the ceremony. The trumpet end their tune, the guests returning to their seat in unison until finally the room is silent. I lower my head after some time, knowing that my father will have a speech to perform per the ceremony rules and focus on my parents in front of me and not the heated gaze burning into me from behind. Damon Frost needs to control himself.
"Loyal subjects and gracious dignitaries, we welcome you to this momentous day as we crown my daughter, Princess Isabella Nightlock, as Queen to the werewolves." My father begins, his voice carrying over all in attendance today. Some begin to cheer, excited to watch and be a part of a new moment in history and I try my best to not grin. My father holds his hand above his head, signalling the crowd to quiet down as the ceremony must continue without anymore interruptions.
"Princess Isabella has trained diligently in the ways of an Alpha Queen, taking time to implement new change that has caused out nation to prosper as well as helped with many treaties and trades with the other races of the world. Princess Isabella, please come kneel before me." My father continues as soon as the room becomes silent. I raise my head at his command and slowly walk up the four steps before carefully kneeling before him, making sure to flair my cape behind me to flow out elegantly as practiced. The palace Witch Cassandra comes forward, handing my father a sceptre before bowing to him, returning to her spot beside the one throne.
"Isabella Nightlock, are you willing to take the Oath?" My father asks, his eyes staring into mine.
"I am willing." I answer, my voice carrying around the room. My father lowers the sceptre, placing the large moonstone embedded inside it on top of my head, the stone glowing as the magic inside wraps around me.
"Will you solemnly promise and swear to govern the People of Canada according to our laws and the many packs respective laws and customs?" He continues, his eyes misting as he maintains his solemn mask.
"I solemnly promise so to do." I can feel the power of the scepter flow into the moonstone around my neck, the two mingling. The sun shines into the room through the large windows, the sight something that hasn't been seen in years since my rejection. I feel light, in control, and powerful.
"Will you to your power cause Law and Justice to be executed in all your judgements?" Another question from my father, one I know that I will keep after the pain I have gone through and the unjustness I have witness the last six years.
"I will."
"Will you to the utmost of your power maintain the Laws of our Moon Goddess. Will you maintain and preserve the settlement of the Church of the Goddess, and the doctrine, worship, discipline, and government thereof, as by law established in Canada?"
"I will"
"Do you promise to keep these oaths and maintain the order of wolves?" The final question in this ceremony is asked. I pause, the power of the sceptre coursing through my body waiting to sense any hesitation and dishonesty from me. But I know that I mean my vows, that I would do anything for my nation.
"The things which I have here before promised, I will perform and keep. So help me Goddess." I answer, the magic from the sceptre settling as the truth of my vows are accepted. The sceptre is removed from my head and I smile slightly as I close my eyes and lower my head. My mother steps forward, her gaze on me.
[I am so proud of you Isabella.] She links me, her praise causing my eyes to tear up. I can feel her love in her words and know that she believes I will rule our people properly. I am so happy I finally accepted her advice and allowed her to find me tutors. Without my mother's help I would not be kneeling here ready to become Queen.
"As I place this crown onto you, Isabella Nightlock, I crown thee Alpha Queen to the werewolf nation of Canada." My father finalizes the coronation, the weight of the crown being placed on top of my head. It is heavier than I expected, the grown made of white gold and moon stones. I had seen the concept art before, how the designed explained the intricate design of the moon in its many phases being the base of the crown with moon stone inlaid into the full moon on the front and smaller stones on the crescent shapes at the side. I fell in love with the design at first glance, the last of five being shown to me two years prior. To no wear something meant for me as the newly crowned Queen feels like a dream, one that I never should be living but accept none the less.
With the crown now firmly on my head, I slowly rise and accept the sceptre from my father and slowly turn to face the crowd.
"I present to all those attending Alpha Queen Isabella Nightlock, ruler of wolves." My father announces, the crowd cheering. My eyes scan along the crowd, my gaze meeting Damon Frosts before I move along and find the one person I am looking for. Liam is by the double doors, his blue eyes staring into mine and I smile. If it weren't for him by my side, training beside me every day, attending my lessons with my tutors and saving my sanity when things became too much, I would have never made it here. Screw my so called mate, he had his chance, now I want to see if maybe I can find my own happiness with a man that accepts me for me, not as Queen, but as Isabella.