Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Standing in front of the window overlooking the garden, I watch as omega's shovel the melting snow away from the walk way. It has been a week since my chat with Moira, the witch and I quickly becoming close in the last seven days. It started as me visiting her when I needed a break from my work, the plans for the Royal Canadian Army being built taking longer than I thought to plan out causing me to need a break every few hours while also dealing with finding out where the Shadows were sneaking in from.

Every time I felt like my head was about to explode from the pressure of protecting my nation, I would leave my office and make my way to the tower where I would find Moira either in her green house picking herbs or on the second floor of her tower where I learned her medicine room was. At first I found all the scents overwhelming, needing a mask to cover my sensitive nose. But then I learned how calming working with herbs could be, creating remedies and medicine for my pack with her guidance as we talked. She would ask me questions about my past, how I have been taught to wield my powers, then scoff at the way tutors taught me. She always said they were morons not understanding that with powers such as myself, fearing them would only make them more dangerous and harder to control.

With our talks and her guidance, I soon found that when someone would anger me – like Damon coming to find me every chance he could to try and win me back – my emotions would not cause a storm. Each day I woke up excited to see a change in myself from the way I walk to the way I spoke with confidence. Kelly and Macie have commented on how different I have become, how my smile seems more genuine and my laugh more carefree.

What excited me the most though is the way I can feel a change in my connection to the power inside me. Before it felt like something always just out of reach, like a wild animal that would attack me if I lost control. But now it seems like a pet I am taming with a bond that is growing closer with each step I take.

"Thought I would find you hear." Turning to the sound of Liam's voice, I watch as he steps into the small library with a cup that smells like peppermint tea that he hands to me.

"Damon tried cornering me when I left my office so I hid here." I explain with a shrug, taking the offered tea and sipping on the warm liquid.

"Why is he even here still? Shouldn't he have gone back home?" Liam growls out in annoyance, making me chuckle.

"Don't worry. I called Ali and asked her to send his mate to come get him which she happily agreed too. Ali still hasn't forgiven him for rejecting me and has been talking with her mate to move to Nightlock Thorn. It seems even Malcom has lost faith in his brother." I state, turning to look back out at the garden. It is still too cold for leaves to bud on the trees, but soon I will be able to sit under the shade and read.

"Will you be able to handle watching another wolf in his arms?" Liam asks, concern laced in his voice as he wraps his arms around me, resting his head on top of mine. My smile falters for a moment as I think about my answer. Had this been three years ago, I would have said no, but now I feel like I can handle it. I know I no longer want Damon, no longer accepted him or our mate bond. He turned his back on me for no other reason than because he thought I was a maid. It is his loss and he can face the consequences of his actions.

"I can handle it, because I have you." I finally answer, feeling Liam pull away in shock. He gently turns me around, his blue eyes searching mine with confusion while I smile warmly at him, letting my affection for my friend show in my gaze.

"Moira told me I can choose my own mate. I am not ready to just yet as I have been learning to accept myself and through that am learning to control my powers." I begin to explain, holding a hand up to stop Liam from cutting me off.

"But when I am ready and if you are willing to wait, I want to be with you." My words are quiet, my confidence waning as I watch for any minute change in Liam's expression, but all I see thankfully is shock. I wait patiently, setting the cup on the windowsill and feeling relieved to finally confess how I feel to the man I have fallen in love with, waiting to see if he feels the same way too.

"Does this mean that if we mate, there is no chance of our exes trying to gain us back?" He asks in a whisper, my smile growing as I nod.

"Yes. Our bond will become a permanent Soulmate bond, one that cannot be broken." I instantly state, seeing a look of relief and love cross his eyes.

"Then I will stay by your side waiting for you to tell me when you are ready on the condition that you let me take you on dates." He pulls me close as his words are whispered, his eyes never leaving mine. I can feel my heart flutter, feel the love from the man holding me and without warning tears fall from my eyes. He rushes to wipe them away, his fingers gentle as I giggle. There are no words that I can use to express myself and so the only thing I think to do is to wrap my arms around his neck, my right hand combing through his hair as I pull him towards me, my lips pressing against him. Again, Liam freezes in shock before I feel his lips moving against mine.

The kiss is soft and sweet, Liam never pushing to deepen it into something more heated. For that, I am grateful as I am not ready to give myself to him fully. His scent wraps around me, claiming me in a way that makes my head feel light and dizzy until finally the kiss ends, leaving us both breathless and leaning into one another.

"I will never let anyone take you away from me Bells. I have loved you for three years now but never wanted to push and ruin our friendship." Liam states as we catch our breath. This time is it my turn to be shocked.

"I have felt the same way to be honest." I admit, gaining a chuckle from the man who holds me tightly in his arms as if proving to me that he will never let me go. Arms that I do not want to leave at all.

"It seems like we really are made for each other." He mumbles with a grin, placing a soft kiss on my forehead. I agree, finding myself laying my head against his chest and listen to the steady beat of his heat, a heart that I now know only beats for me.