Chapter 8: Relaxation

After waking up and slipping on a swimsuit, Harry and I met Liam, Zayn, and Niall in the lobby. I noticed that Niall was standing so close to Liam their arms were touching. I made a mental note to help them out later. They’re like brothers to me, so I’d do anything to help them.

“Ready lads?” Zayn asked quietly.

He’s been really shy lately. I think he’s embarrassed for running away. We tried to talk to him about it, but he changed the subject and refused to tell us why he ran away. I tried to catch Harry’s eye, but he was talking quietly with Liam about something.

I sighed and grabbed his hand, twisting our fingers together. He squeezed my hand in a comforting way and I leaned into his side. I was feeling a little more depressed than usual, some days are just worse than others. I was in the bathroom with my blade above my wrist when Harry walked in and snatched it from me. He proceeded to throw it into the toilet and flush it, making me a little angry at him. Little did he know that I had two others hidden in my bag. I always had a back up.

We all walked down the boardwalk to the beach. Everyone was laughing at something Niall said, but I was too caught up in my thoughts to realize what had been said. I looked to my right at the tall grass that protruded from the sand and frowned, remembering the days when my mum and I would go to the beach during the summer. I would always hide in the grass when we played hide and seek. She knew where I was every time, but she always pretended she didn’t see me. I miss her so much.

Harry must have sensed something was wrong, because he let go of my hand and put his arm over my shoulders, pulling me closer to him and kissing the top of my head. His eyes and a concerned look to them, but I just shook my head, assuring him that it was nothing to be worried about.

“I bet I can beat all of you to the water!” Niall suddenly yelled.

“Yeah right!” Liam scoffed.

“I’ll race ya!” Niall hadn’t even finished his sentence when he took off running.

Liam looked startled for a moment before taking off after Niall. I smiled; maybe Niall will like Liam back. Niall’s feet hit the water first, causing it to splash up behind him and hit Liam. I laughed as Liam ran back quickly, but then dived in after Niall anyways.

As I was laughing at the two, my foot got caught in something and I started to fall forward, but luckily Harry caught me around the waist and pulled me back to a standing position.

“Whoa! Watch out!” Harry joked.

“Thanks.” I said sarcastically.

“Sorry Boo, you’re just so clumsy.” He grinned.

I elbowed him in the side playfully and continued walking. I searched for the perfect spot and when I found it I spread out my beach towel and Harry set his beside me. I pulled off my shirt, adjusted my sunglasses, and pulled the sunscreen out of my bag. I squeezed some into my hand, then tossed Harry the bottle.

I spread it evenly over the front of my body, while Harry did the same.