Chapter 11: The Phoenix

A/N Hi, sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've just been really busy and I have so many other stories that need updates (Check them out). I hit 1,000 fans today, so it inspired me to update for you wonderful people! This is my second update of the day! Hopefully it won't take me as long to update next time!

Also if you have an Ao3 account you can find me on there with the username @loving1dwp

****

I had dozed off at some point during the night, but when I awoke, a nurse was checking Louis's vital signs. I watched her for a few minutes before she noticed I was awake. She gave me a small smile and jotted something down on her clipboard.

"He should be waking up soon." She smiled kindly.

I nodded my head and she left without saying anything else. I had been laying there in silence for half an hour when my phone rang. I red the caller ID, then picked it up.

"What Liam?" I sighed.

"Where are you and why haven't you been answering your phone!?" Liam shouted.

"It's Louis, he's in the hospital. I knew I shouldn't have left him! He was acting weird and-"

"Calm down Harry, don't get yourself worked up. We'll be there in a few minutes and then we can talk."

**

Liam's POV

"Guys, we have to go to the hospital now." I said after hanging up with Harry.

"What? Why?" Zayn raised an eyebrow.

"Louis."

Instantly Niall and Zayn knew what had happened and were grabbing their food off the table and leaving the restaurant.

When we reached the hospital it was eerily quiet. I nervously told the woman at the desk why we were there and she directed us to Louis's room. I wasn't prepared for what I saw when I opened the door.

Harry was holding Louis and sobbing out apologies and kissing him on the forehead, cheeks, nose, chin, temples, and basically anywhere his lips could touch. It truly was a heartbreaking sight.

We sat on the small sofa in front of Louis's bed and waited for Harry to notice us. He eventually mumbled a hello, then quieted his sobs and watched us.

"What happened?" Zayn asked carefully.

"He's been acting weird lately, but he said he was fine, so I didn't worry about it. I was going to make us a nice dinner, so I went to the store to get the stuff I needed, but then he called me. He was crying and saying he was sorry. I-I drove home as fsat as I could, but-"

Harry paused and sucked in a shaky breath. A few tears pooled in his eyes, but he quickly wiped them away.

"I found him in the bathroom. He kept apologizing and he said he didn't mean to. He-He had slit his wrist really deep. There was so much blood!" He whimpered.

I jumped up and pulled Harry into my arms, letting him sob into my chest. He clung to me tightly and sobbed out something unintelligible.

"What? I can't understand you Harry."

He fumbled in his back pocket for something, then shoved it into my palm. I carefully unfolded the paper and read the words at the top. "The Phoenix" was written in bold red letters at the top and below that was a picture of a big white building and a bunch of nurses and doctors smiling. I opened it and read some of the things inside. From what I could tell, it was a mental institute for suicidal people.

"I can't send him there Liam! He'll hate me!" Harry suddenly pulled back and latched himself onto Louis.

"It might be good for him though. They could help him. Don't you want him to be happy?"

"Yes! I want that more than anything, but I don't want to lose him again Liam! He doesn't even trust me!"

"But what if this happens again. You won't be there to save him every time. You've tried everything. I think you should give this place a chance."

Harry sniffled and looked at Louis's sleeping face, then to me, then to the boys, then back to Louis.

"How am I supposed to tell him? How am I supposed to tell him I couldn't help him? I promised him I'd protect him and I failed. This is going to kill him." Harry said quietly.

"You don't have to decide now, but I really think you should. Just talk to him about it, he'll understand."

"I hope so." Harry said almost inaudibly.

We all shared a sad look, before telling Harry goodbye and leaving.

**

Harry's POV

Louis woke up two hours later when I was tracing invisible patterns on his chest. The only way I knew he had woken up was because he laid his hand over mine and smiled down at me when I woke up.

I stretched my neck up and covered his lips with my own, sliding his bottom lip between my lips and sucking a bit. He frowned when he pulled away.

"I'm really sorry. I-I didn't mean-"

I kissed him again to shut him up.

"I'm sorry too. I knew something was wrong, I just didn't want to believe it."

We laid in silence for a while. I gripped Louis's hand like it was a lifeline and Louis played with my curls.

A doctor came in, checked Louis's vitals, asked a few questions, then left.

"There's something I need to talk to you about darling." I sat up on the bed and turned so I was facing him.

He furrowed his eyebrows in an adorable way and tilted his head slightly.

"You know I love you. I love you so, so much. Which is why it kills me to see you sad. I want to help you, but I just can't. I've tried my hardest, but nothing I do works. I'm really sorry Lou. We can't keep doing this."

"Are you b-breaking up with m-me?" Louis's face crumpled.

"Oh god no! No, never!" I kissed him gently to prove my point.

"Then what are you talking about?" He wiped his eyes with his hospital gown and sniffled.

"One of the nurses talked to me while you were being operated on. She mentioned a place where you could go to get help. It's called The Phoenix and it's for people who are depressed or suicidal. At first I was appalled she would even say something like that, but then Liam convinced me that it could be a good idea. I want you to go Lou."

There was a long moment of silence in which my heart beat sped up and Louis just stared at me with a no emotion showing on his face.

"You want me to leave? I told you I didn't mean to! I won't do it again. Harry please don't do this! You promised you would help me! You can't!"

"Louis, I just want to help you! I wouldn't be recommending this place unless I knew it was a good facility. I was researching it while you were asleep and I think it could be a good place for you. I just want you to be happy." I took his hand and kissed his knuckles.

"Then don't make me go." He breathed.

"I'm not going to make you go, but I really want you too. Louis, I don't know what I would do if you somehow succeeded in killing yourself. I would probably go crazy. I can't live without you baby, I love you too much. This is the only way. Aren't you tired of being sad all the time?"

Louis didn't answer. He didn't look at me. I lifted him carefully and placed him in my lap, where he shut his eyes and leaned against me. I rested my chin on top of his head and sighed.

"What did I do to deserve this?" Louis asked quietly.

"No one deserves this. Especially you. I don't know why things keep happening to us, but no matter what I know we can get through it. We'll come out stronger in the end."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

****

"What seems like the right thing to do could also be the hardest thing you have ever done in your life." -Unknown

****

Votes: 35

Comments: 25