Track 15

JAIRE

Serenity's watching the band perform "Tell Me" by Groove Theory. Her clipboard's pressed to her chest as she wears a scrutinizing scowl, doing her best Coach D from Dancing Dolls impression. Last night, Alaia sang Granddaddy's Joint into the ground. Once the performance hit the internet, Serenity told us to be in the live recording studio the next day at 2 PM. ("And I mean sharp, or I will make cuts!")

Along with "I Get Lonely," Alaia stayed on stage to sing "Come Over" by Aaliyah and "Soon as I Get Home" by Faith Evans. Her voice became sultrier through the night as she exhibited celestial notes as if Heaven's finest angel classically trained her. A captivated smile plastered on my face as we sang the sexy jams. Her lips mirrored the smitten curve of mine as my heart crooned with our harmonization.

After the show, my peers bombarded Alaia with glorification. My phones blew up as folks wondered who Alaia was and if she had signed to C4E yet. They inquired when I planned on announcing her addition to the label and our plans to release her debut. It's a dogfight to be the first artist to feature Alaia on their track. The world will revere the artist who gets the opportunity as a pioneer in Alaia Lovelie's pivotal career. They'll also gain a hit single in the process. Poor souls don't know velvet paradise is coming, then her solo debut. They'll have to wait.

While I expected Alaia to be a global sensation, I didn't expect the uproar to begin after one performance. Everyone sees the star that I see. There's only one Beyoncé, but everyone's been wondering who'll give us life once the queen retires. The answer is Alaia Lovelie.

The song ends, and Alaia grins as we intone the last note. She's so damn gorgeous and adorable. At first, I thought my attraction was only infatuation. I tend to fall hard and fast, but never at this intensity. Every impulse coaxes me to risk it all for my artist, but she may not feel the same way. The risks of us getting together are substantial, but they appear more worth it every second.

Cassie hands us water bottles to soothe our throats. We've been performing a mix of R&B songs with different vocal pairings to see who sounds the best together. Everyone's voice complements each other's, but Alaia and I's voices pair like collard greens and cornbread—delicious, rich, and soul-filing. When we sang "Until the End of Time," we gave JT and Bey a run for their money. After we finished, Harlem banged the drums and sparked a church praise session. Drizz followed along on the keys while Serenity and Elise broke out in tongues. Cassie got it all on camera for a future documentary. I gotta ask her to send me the video when we're done.

Serenity checks something from her clipboard. Her scowl rises into a victorious grin. "Well, I'm looking at a future GRAMMY Award-winning band." She taps her fingers together, telling us to clap for ourselves. As we fulfill her request, she peers back at her clipboard. "There are some things to address, though. Can I talk to Jaire, the CEO, real quick?"

After slinging my guitar over my shoulder, I grab the front strap and follow Serenity outside the studio. A tight-lipped smile from my big sister is a sure sign of forthcoming bluntness. My nostrils flare as I let out a sharp exhale, readying myself for the impact of honesty.

"You and Alaia have perfect chemistry—a little too perfect. Folks will think y'all are fucking. Hell, some already do," Serenity says. "I saw a tweet with insinuations that I can't repeat because, ew." She looks at me from head to toe as if her little brother can't be sexually active.

As I inspect Serenity, I lean against the wall. "Okay? Lai and I aren't doing anything. We'll dispel the rumors once we announce velvet paradise."

"That's the thing. I don't..."—her voice raises a pitch—"think we should." She gives me a scrunched face that resembles having a headache. My expression mirrors hers, but doused with confusion. "Hear me out!" She fans her hands out. "I'm not saying you two should act like you're together. The best route would be to ignore the assumptions. Don't deny. Don't comply."