Track 20

JAIRE

An unsettling silence pervades the interior of Sunni's Mercedes, eerie as a thick haze veiling a deserted path. With my fingers subconsciously drumming on the armrest, I observe my mansion. Black magic glided through the studio today as the band and I produced mesmerizing musical harmonies. While my friends fantasize and rave about our upcoming success, I'm trapped by Sunni's unrelenting stare. After days of ignoring her messages, she pulled up on me with questions. She's not pleased with the answers.

A wry snicker cuts through the hush. "How long have you been in love?"

"I never said I was in love," I correct, keeping my gaze out the window. "I'm catching feelings for a girl and trying to see where it goes."

"You chatted up other birds before and never ended our arrangement. What makes this one different? Who is it? Bria?" I shift my focus towards Sunni, my expression contorting. "Don't look at me like that. She just came back from her tour. I'm sure you've shagged her brains out by now."

"I've been dedicating my efforts to velvet paradise. Bria hasn't messaged me, and I ain't been checking for her."

"Well, if you've been so bloody focused on velvet paradise, you must be fucking a bandmate? It can't be Alaia because you promised you wouldn't get involved with her. Are you and Elise screwing around again?"

I take a prolonged breath, and my nostrils flare. I rotate my body in Sunni's direction, who squints at me with a dissecting glare. Her arms cross tightly below her bosom, causing her top to emphasize her cleavage. While she adjusts her blouse, I steer my thoughts back on course. "Elise and I haven't fucked in years. It was a phase."

Why the hell am I explaining myself to her? She understood that our agreement was temporary. Why is it suddenly an issue?

I grit my teeth and stretch my jaw, determined to end the stupid ass conversation. "Why do you care? It's not none of your business. The point is, I no longer want to fuck with you. We can be friends, but anything sexual gotta go."

"If we're mates, be real. We fucked less than a week ago. I've been sending you nudes. You've never declined them. Now, you're sitting here and blabbing about how you're into someone? I'm bloody confused. I don't care about us not fucking anymore. There are plenty of rich dudes with good dick in LA. However, you owe me honesty."

Through clenched teeth, I respond, "I don't owe you shit, bruh."

Sunni's laugh echoes through the cabin with a biting edge. "Right, because you brought me this Mercedes. You've paid my rent throughout the year. Everything I'm wearing came from your bank account. So, okay, you don't owe me anything...except common bloody courtesy."

My hand wraps around the door's latch. "Bruh, I'm outta here."

"Yeah, run! That's what you do when you're faced with accountability. I'm not daft, Ja! You're shaggin' Alaia, even though I asked you not to. I'm happy for her and all the blessings coming to her. She's tighter-lipped than me, but she's had her troubles. I claimed I didn't wish to share you with her. Really, I don't want you to fuck that girl's head up!"

"How the fuck am I going to fuck her head up, Sunni?!"

Sunni presses her back against the seat with an exhausted sigh and peers out the front windshield. "Ja, you are an amazing guy, but we all have issues. Criticism in close relationships is difficult for you to handle. You shut down or get over-emotional. You're not unlovable, but you have shit to work on. If you get with Alaia, it will end like every other relationship you tried. At first, she'll be patient. After a while, your shortcomings will grow tired. Your weaknesses have solutions, yet you resist change. You self-sabotage shit without realizing it."