Freedom

Bell walked to Airmids clinic with a cloak in his hand. Ardee was getting discharged today, and Bell, being the gentleman he is, was going to walk her home.

His mind wandered back to a few nights ago, when he beat a man to death. He found it strange how he didn't feel anything. He didn't feel sad or regretful, but he thought he'd feel a little sad for killing someone.

He also didn't mean to kill Tammuz either. It was just that, in his anger, he didn't stop. Maybe he didn't feel bad because he tried to hurt Astraea.

Or maybe he has already steeled his heart against killing someone. That was the whole reason he was here. To kill the last of his family and end this dark age.

What makes it sadder to Bell is that the man died for petty jealousy. Such a stupid way for one to die. Ishtar didn't arrange for Tammuz to do what he did.

Bell had a hard time believing her. But when her heart rate didn't increase, he knew she was telling the truth. Hearts beat faster when one lies.

He opened the door to the clinic and waved at the receptionist. He had been here enough times to know the blonde-haired woman's name was Martha.

She waved back, and Bell continued his walk to Ardee's room. The reason he had a cloak in his hand was because he knew how Ardee felt about people seeing her burns. So he grabbed a poncho so she could cover them if she so chooses.

Bell kept a smile on his face as he flung her door open. He was happy his friend was getting released.

"Hey Ardee, you excited to get re-

Bell froze and was still as a statue as Ardee looked at him with her eyes wide. Bell had walked in on her, putting her shirt on.

"My bad, I should've knocked," He said, turning around. However, because of his six eyes, that image is burned into his brain. But one thing he also saw was the burns that covered her arms.

If only he had been a little faster.

"I-it's ok," Ardee stuttered out.

The two were silent for a moment before Ardee spoke up.

"Are my burns that bad?" Ardee sadly asked.

"No, they're not. You just don't have a shirt on, and I want to give you your privacy. I could never be disgusted looking at you. We're best friends, after all," Bell calmly stated.

Ardee was quiet as she took in Bell's words of kindness. But she wanted to make sure he was being honest.

"Can you look at me?" She quietly asked.

"Are you sure? You don't have a shirt on," Bell calmly asked. He wasn't going to ask like some nervous child. Not when his friend needed his support right now.

"I am. I want you to see me. That way, I won't feel ugly if I'm around you. I know my burns are nasty, and I know people won't want to look at me. But if it's you, I don't mind," Ardee stated.

"Alright. If that's what you want."

Bell took off his glasses and slowly turned around. Once he did, he saw Ardee's bare chest along with the burn marks covering her upper body. A half circle was on her throat, and she was having trouble keeping eye contact with Bell.

"See, you look beautiful," Bell softly said.

Ardee slightly blushed. "You're just saying that to make me feel better," she mumbled.

"Ardee, you know my eyes are different than everyone else's, but did I ever tell you how?"

"You can see better than everyone, and if your eyes aren't covered, you get a headache."