Ch 14

Passing through all the security clarinces and into the core of the Genix Labs main building was always a hassle for Haley. With Carter screwing up his project completely and her screwing hers up, there wasn't any point of going to work anymore. The linear space of constant white walls and faint blue contrast was bleak and beginning to get on her nerves. She quickly scanned her ID card and gave a curt nod to the eighth officer before finnaly sitting at her desk. Sipping her to-go coffee she scrunched her face, cold.
Her desk mate leaned over, Grace Ohlm, she looked worried about something.
"Haley, the boss wants you... she didn't say anything about why..." Grace glanced around before continuing, "She doesn't seem too mad but some things have changed while you were gone,"
The office door flung open and in stepped the boss, a short woman with cocoa skin and black hair in a tight ponytail. She scanned the room before her eyes landed on Haley. All she did was step to the side of the door and glared at her, all she needed for her to hustle out of her desk and into the room behind the door. The door closed as she took a seat in the chair across the desk. Neat, short piles of files, we're set at the edges of the desk. The room smelled of roses, complementary to the red and black room. The dark oak desk matched the shelves and chairs. The room matched the Boss's clothing, a short red and black flowered dress.
"Welcome back Dr. Feythorn. I have some updates on your project." She scooted forward, her hands interlaced infront of her. "Your project had been officially put on pause and funds given to Dr. Hannon and his project. Your team will now be working with them, including you. You need to understand," She dragged a file off the top of the pile on her left, handing it to Haley, "they will need the extra help with the recent tests to come."
Haleys attention was caught, her boss's eyes stared daggers into her to cooperate. "Sorry? Dr. Rother, tests? They have already moved on to biological tests?"
"Have been for a while. Mainly plants. They've been coming up with human and animal tests to conduct in the very near future. They will need all the help they can get."
"What about the pain?"
"What pain? No one said anything about pain, if there is any discomfort, a shot can be administered."
"What about anesthetics? Or if the subject gets out of control?"
"I'm not sure the budget will be spread that thin, and termination is always an option." Dr. Rother spoke coldly. She got up from her seat, heading to the door. "If you have any more concerns, bring it up with Dr. Hannon. " She opened the door and Haley solemnly got up from her chair. She gave a curt nod as she left and the door closed, quite loudly and turned a decent amount of heads towards her. Deep breath, hair flip, and she headed back to her desk.

--------------------_-----------------_--------------

Tolveck tilted his head back, attempting to sleep again. Carter paced back and forth beneath him, whispering things Tolveck couldn't hear. Julian was attempting to use a laptop, but was failing miserably. Carters phone laid on the table in his cubical.
"I would have thought keyboards were easier to use, but this one's just being mean!" Julian spoke. "Any progress on the formula?"
"I was never good at making equations for patterns, but I believe I've made some progress." Carter spun around and quickly sat down beside him. "If only Maxwell left notes! Not that I blame him, us scientists suck at notes but usually we collaborate with people about it!" He laid on the ground staring up at the ceiling.
"BZZ BZZ ... BZZ BZZZ BZZZ BZZZ .... IM BEGGIN, BEGGIN YOUUHUHUOOO TO PUT YOUR LOVIN HANDS DOWN BABY, BEGGIN," Carters phone rang and buzzed from his little office. Julian scrambled to his feet in an attempt to get Carters phone for him. His ringtone still going off. Carter sharply sat up as Julian fumbled with his phone. Finally hitting the answer button and bringing the phone up to his ear.
"Hello-"
"CARTER YOU NEED TO GET TO WORK!"
"Good morning to you too Haley..." Julian handed the phone to Carter, "It's for you," He received a look of confusion.
"Morning Haley."
"YOU NEED TO GET INTO THE OFFICE!"
"Calm down, what happened?"
"I-I just got in and already people are saying biological tests have gone forward on your project. It- it's insane that no one here has even confronted any of us."
"They've started other tests?"
"Floaral mostly, but they might jump straight to human or rodent. That's what it sounds like."
"Ooo is that Dr. Hannon?"
"Haley, who is that?"
"Just my desk partner, yes it is, now give me a second! I have an update aswell with the whole Maxwell situation."
Carters face fell, "You do? Quick tell me!"
"It seems-"
"Haley, he might not even be there, Steven was always close but I doubt he's hiding him."
"He was relocated to the Galway sector of Genix, I think Steven is hiding him, or something."
"And why would you think this, there's no physical proof." Carter began pacing, Julian was way more interested in this then a laptop and Tolveck was long from sleep now.
"His relocation had notes about scheduled feedings like a pet, I think this has happened more then once."
Carter fell silent, that wouldn't make particular sense but it's a possibility. But why Steven? "That is a new insight... anything else?"
"There's a note aswell, the serum that he was making was relocated with him but there appears to be only accessible by a higher up, higher than you and probably Julian. Like director type of high." There were a few murmurs in the background before she spoke again. "We could go and find Steven but it would cause some problems..."
"Haley, I would do anything to fix my mistakes. Galway is just an hour drive, I will go down there-"
"We will." Tolveck spoke above.
"We will go to Galway and find him." Carter smiled up to him. "Just give us a time and date, I could call ahead, or something."
"Carter, I'm not saying you should, but, you should."
"Haley! No! This could be bad!"
"Calm down Grace, it'll be fine."
"I'll be in as soon as I can aswell... How's the team?"
"Obsessed with sunflowers at the moment, and it's our team now."
Carter heaved a sigh, of course it was a plant. He'll come in with them everywhere. "Don't let them know I'm coming, they would probably wreak my desk."
"No promises, just hurry, things could go left."
"Hopefuly right, anyways I'll be in soon, bye."
"Bye..."
Carter hung up and turned to both of the people. Tolveck gave him an anticipating look, Julian urged him to tell. Carter just left into the cubical.
"Was it something we did?" Julian gazed up at Tolveck.
"I think work has something to do with it..." He shifted slightly, "Somethings gone wrong."
Julians eyes widened in understanding. "Woooah kay, somethings gone wrong."

----_----_----_----_----_----_----_----_----_----

God Carter hated these check points. Eight just to get into the core building and another few to get to his team. Hastle after hastle and only too look forward to a mess of plants.
At least the guards knew him well enough at this stage so they knew he was in a hurry down. Only one stopped him to ask a few questions about his disappearance. At last getting to his section of the building he was met with a horrendous sight, one which pleased and horrified him.
Vines of plants were chunky and splayed over the walls and floors, a few plants towered over the workers and sunflower seeds were scattered everywhere. The light blue walls were stained in places with green or a blue or purple. Oh god, his team were gathered around a massive sunflower above them. As they heard the sliding glass doors close, they all turned to him. A few were struck with embarrassment and some were surprised to see him.
"Morning sir, we uh, we're identifying a variable in sunflowers we didn't expect..." One of them said, she wore a neat bun on her head and her lab coat was stained a light pink, Taylor Vera.
Carter rubbed the bridge of his nose, head hung low before replying. "Who allowed you to do this?" His head still to the floor.
"Dr. Rother, sir. She gave us the go ahead for floral tests."
The doors opened again and a bit of chatter paused as steps hauled. Carter turned to them. He didn't recognise any until through the group Haley appeared. Taken back Carter fumbled his expression.
"Dr.Feythorn, what a nice surprise-"
"Carter no time for formality." She spoke sharply. She waltzed in not giving any thought to the room. Carter turned back to Haleys group. They looked like confused college students, probably were. He nodded to them and moved aside to let them in. He then ran over to catch up with Haley, giving a stern look to his team.
"What are you doing here?"
"Oh I forgot to tell you the best part of all this! Our projects have been merged. All staff have been given to you." Already Haley looked fed up with all of this. "Of all projects they pick mine to add to the stupid plant party down here." She scoffed before addressing him. "Look, we need your team off their plant spree and into working on a reverse. We need one just like Maxwells."
"For sure, although it seems you have a few botanist enthusiasts..." A few from Haleys group had joined into the sunflower cult that Carter's had started. Carter couldn't help but smile at it.
"Of course," She paused at Carters desk, it was a bit perstine, just a normal plant to the side. "Listen, we can't let your project be tested with out a reverse. We can't let this happen again." Haley leaned on his desk looking straight into his eyes. Carter froze from the intense gaze. Perhaps working here was a mistake bound to be made... spiral for later, they needed to get to work.
"Alright," he took out a white board marker, "Let's get started." He quickly went back to his and Haleys team, dragging along a large whiteboard. He swung it infront of them before tapping twice on the board. Everyone else in Carters team paused their chatter while Carter popped the cap off the marker and Haleys group soon followed.
"All right people, we're going to begin reverse engineering the serum you have made in hopes to form a sort of reverse." Haley spoke loud and clear, Carters team looked confused.
"Dr. Hannon, we have... have we not?" One of them spoke up. Taylor like before.
"That one only works properly if the correct ratios were given. We're looking for one that doesn't quite rely on that." Carter spoke as he began to scribble on the whiteboard. Haley tried to see his scrawlings but couldn't make out much.
"We need to understand the main principles of Pythagrine to do this, we know some but not all or enough." Carter continued, "I think we should start with something that we understand well," he swung away from his drawing. A plan was drawn out in stages, testing, investigation, refinery. "Mice! I understand we were supposed to begin on tests last week and I never showed up, but now we know what to look for officially. Before it was any mutigens, now it's any structural changes and any thing related before and after testing that may help in a reverse... and mutigens."
"So, my team will be briefed while Dr. Hannons will begin writing possible procedures. We need this done quickly and hopefully reliability." Haley nodded to the group and her team separated from Carters.
"You heard the woman, start writing!" He went to follow before quickly turning back, "And keep those sunflowers, we could do analysis on them." And he hurried off.

So, whatcha think of the workplace? I'm hoping to write more soon but school is beginning to pose some difficulties... anyways, write soon!
-Mojo

Word count: 2066