chapter eight.

"𝒔𝒐 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒈𝒐 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒍𝒆𝒆𝒑, 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒅,"

[𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭]

the next day, jungkook was working his shift in the cafe, clearing and wiping down tables when he caught sight of kim taehyung walk through the door and towards the counter, looking as established as ever.

the brunette found himself staring, halted while leaning over a table with a cloth in hand.

the artist's deep black hair was combed neatly; and he was dressed in a deep green sweater vest, layered on top of a long-sleeved white blouse, with wide-legged black pants making his legs look long and slender.

a brown leather satchel was rested over his shoulder, a couple of what seemed to be piano music books tucked in his left arm.

he looked breathtakingly handsome.

jungkook could swoon right then and there in the middle of the busy cafe.

jungkook was swooning.

only when he felt a tiny tug on his apron did he flinch out of his dreamy daze, looking down at the child beside him with a smile. "hello, little one." he recognised her, she came in that morning with who he assumed to be her mother. "can i help you?"

"my eomma said t-that she wants a sugar straw." the little girl mumbled, nervously as she looked around. "please mister."

"a sugar straw?" jungkook crouched to her height with a bright smile. the girl looked to be no older than five years old; her clothes an obvious sign with her dora the explorer themed shirt.

her hair was short, decorated with pretty coloured clips and her eyes were big, doe-like. "do you know if she wants brown or white?"

"the pink one." the girl answered, unsurely.

"white." jungkook stood up and gently patted her head. "you go and tell your eomma that i'll bring them right over, yeah?"

the girl nodded and jungkook watched her scurry back to her table, before putting the rag down on the table he was mid-cleaning to make his way back to the counter.

"jungkook, good morning." taehyung's soft, honey-like voice called, the deep baritone making the younger man blush slightly as he looked up to meet his warm gaze. "i was hoping to run into you here... may i have a word with you?"

"o-of course." jungkook blinked, but nodded as he reached over to grab a couple of white sugar straws from the pot. "i'm on break at ten.. do you mind waiting?"

"i don't mind." the artist shook his head, gently, and let his lips twitch up slightly as he paid jimin, who was behind the till, for his coffee. "i'll wait. it's about the painting."

"oh!" jungkook's eyes widen slightly, and he nodded, sheepishly. "okay! i forgot about that, actually." it was true; the reminder of his uncle's upcoming funeral had been taking over his thoughts as he tried, and failed, to decide wether or not he would actually be going.

he had the contract signed and read, ready to give back to the artist.

"i'll go and sit down, then." the artist chuckled, gently tapping jungkook's forearm as he picked up his coffee from the counter. "you better get back to work, i don't want to keep you busy."

jungkook watched taehyung make his way to the usual table by the window in the corner and bit his lips softly, flinching when jimin snickered from beside him.

"you've got that look." jimin mused, shaking his head as he placed his small palms flat on the counter top, leaning on it as he spoke. "are you falling for kim taehyung?"

"of course not." jungkook denied, turning away to walk back to the table with the sugar straws clutched in his hand. "i don't even know him."

"i need to start the painting this weekend." taehyung spoke, lifting his gaze to meet jungkook's, watching the younger man sit down. "could you come to my place this saturday?"

"i can do that." jungkook smiled, softly, as he sat beside the artist, his cup of vanilla coffee in his hand. "i'll bring the signed contract too. is there anything else i need?"

"just yourself." taehyung smiled slightly, his eyes drifting towards the window and watching people walk past, before he looked back at the younger, jungkook's bright smile replaced with a soft frown as he looked at his cup. "you seem troubled... penny for your thoughts?"

"it's nothing really... just that my uncle died." jungkook sighed, propping his elbows on the table to rest his heading his palms. "and my parents want me to attend the funeral next week."

"do you.. not want to go?" the artist asked, curiously as he sipped on his own drink, the bustle of the cafe mere background noise. "why not? if you don't mind me asking..."

"he hurt me a lot when i was young." jungkook answered through a deep sigh, aware of the oversharing as he looked at his drink. "i've been thinking about it all day..." he finally looked up at the black-haired artist, conflicted. "do i go or not?"

taehyung seemed understanding. he seemed like someone jungkook could trust with his troubles. perhaps it was due to the artist's charisma and soft smile, the way his eyes held warmth when they met his own.

"hm.." taehyung hummed in thought, his own brows furrowing softly. "if you're certain that you won't regret not going, then don't." he answered. "i have no knowledge of your relationship with him, but... i can tell you're.. glad he's gone."

"i am glad." jungkook still seemed unsure, lifting his cup to have a sip as he checked the time on his watch. his break had ten minutes left; and he'd rather not let his monstrous, dead, uncle fill up his time with the handsome artist. "a-anyway, uh, what time should i come over on saturday? where, uhm, where do you live?"

"i'll pick you up at ten." taehyung smiled, noting the change of topic. "i'm not sure how long you'll stay over for, it depends how far we get into the art piece."

jungkook cracked a grin, his previously frowning face morphing into a bright smile. "sounds fun!"

_______

this chapter isn't as good as the others, but i'll make sure the next one is amazing☺️

-TaesThickThighs