chapter seventeen.

"𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒊'𝒎 𝒔𝒊𝒄𝒌 𝒐𝒇 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒏'"

[𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧]

the next day wasn't as blissful, unfortunately.

it was around 1pm that afternoon, on his last break of his shift, when jungkook looked down at his phone, his bottom lip bitten tightly between his teeth as he reread the text message over and over again.

every time he took in the words, his chest grew tighter and tighter.

eomma~
i just think you're selfish for not showing up.
he was your uncle, jungkook
don't show your face around me for a long time.
[read 11:30am ]

he let out a soft, shaky exhale and turned the screen off, putting his phone down to rub his hand through his hair, worried. his mother and he had never had the best relationship, and it seemed the whole funeral matter really strained it all the more.

"hey kook-ah, is everything okay?"

"namjoon hyung?" he looked up and forced a smile as namjoon came and stood beside him from his place behind the counter, leaning against the counter as he watched jimin and seokjin serve the customers. "i-i thought you weren't in today-"

"well here i am." namjoon ruffled his hair fondly. "now, come one. tell hyung what's bothering you, hm? i saw your frown."

jungkook hesitated, but decided to share what had made his smile disappear. "it's my mother." he lifted his phone weakly, turning it on to show the older male the texts from his mother. "she... she's mad at me."

namjoon gently grabbed the phone and read it, and sighed. "i'm sorry, kook-ah. i know that family matters can be really tough." he handed the phone back and offered a pat of support on the younger's shoulder. "if you need someone to talk to, you know i'm always only a phone call away, jin too."

"i know." jungkook smiled a little, pocketing his phone. "i-i just don't know what to do... she's my mom."

"maybe it's best to not contact her for a while." namjoon advised, sympathetically. "now then," he nudged the boy playfully, attempting to lift the mood. "you and my brother, hm?"

"w-what do you mean?" jungkook looked away, busying himself with wiping down the counter as if to mask his fluster. "he's just a friend."

"just a friend?" namjoon smirked, amused. "funny, he said the same thing."

"because that's what we are." jungkook defended, looking over his shoulder at the older man with a soft blush. "he's painting me for his piece, that's all."