chapter thirteen.

"𝒊'𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒐𝒘 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒊'𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒅

"𝒊'𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒐𝒘 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒊'𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒅."

[𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧]

the autumn streets of seoul were adorned with a vibrant display of fallen leaves in various hues, creating a picturesque scene as jungkook and hoseok strolled together.

the cold air carries the crispness of the season, the gentle breeze dancing between the leaves, carrying them through the air as they fell from the naked trees.

it was a cold afternoon, the wind strong and the pavements wet as jungkook skipped alongside hoseok, the two of them on their way to the younger man's apartment.

with wind blowing their hair in messy gusts, the clouds were grey and murky; the air thick with the aroma of wet leaves and petrol.

"so, how was america?" jungkook asked, looking up at the older as they walked, the tip of his nose pink and his eyes shining with excitement. "was it anything like the movies? i wanna know everything!"

"oh kook, where do i even begin?" hoseok chuckled, stuffing his glove-clad hands in his coat pockets as they reached a street crossing. "the energy, the people, the food; it's a whole different world."

"did you meet any pretty boys?" jungkook's lips curled into a sly grin as he grabbed the red-haired man's bicep, wrapping his own arms around it in a cling. "anyone i should meet? c'mon, you're handsome, you can't tell me you didn't meet anyone!"

"nope, still painfully single." hoseok snorted, making no attempt to remove the younger from his arm as they crossed the street. "but what about you? i've got three months to catch up with you, anything on your end that i should know?"

"oh, yeah!" jungkook's eyes suddenly lit up, delight washing over his face as he thought back to the handsome artist; the man's gentle smile and soft words. "i, uh, made a new friend, and..." he bit his lip, smiling softly to himself. "i-i'm sort of modelling for his painting."

"modelling, eh?" hoseok grinned, looking up at the apartment complex that came into view. "and how's that working out?"

"it's great." jungkook scrunched his nose softly, looking down at their shoes shyly as they walked. "h-he's really nice, hyung. he's wonderful."

"who is he?" hoseok asked, curiously. "i didn't know that you know any artists?"

"kim taehyung." jungkook answered, bashfully, his cheeks warming up. "and-"

"kim taehyung?" hoseok stopped walking, looking at the younger with wide eyes. "the kim taehyung? pen-named vante?"

"yes, yes!" jungkook cut his rambling off, letting out a soft shiver as the cold air brushed over his face, tugging the older to continue walking. "seokjin hyung introduced me to him about two weeks ago... he's painting me for his next piece."

"well!" hoseok grinned, sighing happily as jungkook's apartment complex came into view. "as a man of such artistic skill, surely he can see how adorable you are, it's no wonder why he chose you, kook." he lifted his hand from his pocket and gently squeezed jungkook's left cheek, earning a whine and a shove from the younger man. "ah, i'm such a proud hyung! i can't wait to see the artwork you create together."

"t-thanks, but i'm kind of too embarrassed to face him after crying like that..." jungkook just mumbled, not mentioning the fact that his modelling included being completely nude- it would definitely be a... surprise for hoseok to say the least. "i sort of freaked out because of the storm hyung... he probably thinks im a child."

"everyone has fears, jungkook." hoseok rose a brow. "i'm sure he's just glad he could help you. anyway, how are the others? namjoon and jin hyung? jimin?" he asked after a couple moments of silence as they entered the complex. "i haven't been to the cafe yet, i'm heading down tomorrow."

"everyone's great!" the warmth of the apartment lobby's atmosphere hit them like a brick and jungkook let out a content sigh as he quickly began to warm up. he unzipped his coat, greeting the reception lady, and looking at his friend as they walked towards the elevators. "but it'll be much better with you back in the cafe, hyung. we should schedule a get-together."

"of course it will be." hoseok teased as they stepped inside an elevator, jungkook following. "and we should... who knows, maybe you can find me a handsome man as a welcome back gift."

evening rolled around quickly, jungkook humming softly as he stroked his fingers through coco's soft fur; the little rabbit sleeping soundly in his lap while hoseok chomped on some chicken flavoured noodles just a few metres away on the other couch.

as the tv played harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban, the living room light was off; the room lit up with scented candles and string lights- a cosy, warm atmosphere for the two friends to catch up with instant noodles and hot chocolates to suit the cold weather.

"are you sure i'm making the right choice?" the younger brunette asked softly, not looking up from coco. "by not going to the funeral on saturday?"

"the man traumatised you, kook." hoseok scoffed, licking his lips as he reached forward to put the empty noodle cup on the coffee table, pointing a chopstick at the younger accusingly. "why should you pay your respects to a monster, huh? don't let him consume your happiness now."

"i know, but what if-"

"you're not going." hoseok declared, firmly. "that's final. you can spend the day with me instead."

jungkook gently ran his finger tips along the soft fur of coco's ear, frowning. the news of his uncle's upcoming funeral lingered in his mind, taunting him.

taehyung had advised him to do what would be best for him, hoseok had also said not to go- but jungkook didn't know if he actually had the heart to not go. despite the pain his uncle put him through as a young boy, he was still family.

he still came to family functions, hell, he still bought jungkook birthday and christmas presents.

"my mom will be angry." he mumbled, lifting his hand from coco, grabbing his mug of hot chocolate from the coffee table while keeping his eyes on the tv. "she never did believe what i told her... i wonder if she still thinks i made it all up."

"c'mon, this is meant to be a relaxed hangout!" hoseok whined, stretching his socked foot to gently tap jungkook's leg. "cheer up, kook. let's not think about that for now, okay?"

the younger's eyes regained their sparkle and he nodded, offering his hyung a small smile. "sorry, hyung... i didn't mean to go on and-"

"just watch harry potter, you coconut." hoseok snorted, waving him off -perfectly used to jungkook's worries and stresses. but he knew that if the younger kept rambling about the funeral, he'd begin to spiral. "we'll talk about it on saturday." he tugged the boy into an embrace, kissing his head. "okay?"

"okay." jungkook leaned into the older's side, letting his negative thoughts and worries slip away.

_______

i have up to chapter 19 written, so i might publish those quite soon :)

-TaesThickThighs