Chapter 1~ Remember forever

The field stretching out before her and the clans behind her, Fern walked on.
She looked back to see a trail of flattened grass where she had been running.
I never thought any of this'd happen, and yet here I am, in search of a lost memory.
But what exactly am I looking for?

Her own questions confused her.
She padded forwards and didn't look back again.
I've left the clans behind. Will I ever come back?

She didn't know any of the answers to the questions, but she wished she did.
It would make my life so much easer if I knew who my family was.
Why did Lightsky have to find me?

She tripped over a stone and landed on her nose.
"Ow!" She scrambled up, but sat down again, licking her bruised nose.
She would miss some cats, like Ashpaw, Bluenose, Flowerpool, Rustycloud and Redpaw.
But I'm not going back! Everyone else in the clan hates me.
She saw a small thicket ahead and decided to stop traveling during the day, and start by night.
She padded towards it slowly, grabbed some heather on the way, and made a nest, where she lay down to rest.

"Young kit." Fernkit nodded to Waterheart. "You haven't visited for a long time. Why?"
Fernkit narrowed her eyes. "Shouldn't you know? I'm a murderer."
"You don't believe that nonsense, do you?"

"N-no." The grey kit flicked her ears. They hurt from the training with Bluenose. "I've been thinking a lot about what you said last time. Something about when I'm alone, you will tell me a prophecy, and then the lost legacy will be found again."
"You remembered." Waterheart purred. "That was a while ago."
Fernkit's pelt was itching to know.
The elder started.

"When the sun casts its light, shadows appear, but when clouds block the light, the shadows disappear.
Nothing can calm the rising storm."
"Sun, light, shadows, disappear, calm, storm." Fernkit wondered.
"Remember this message forever."

Fern jerked awake.
I will try to remember it, Waterheart.
"Sun, light, shadows, disappear, calm, storm."