Chapter 25~ Bright flames

Starpaw sniffed the air. It smelled... burnt.
A fire? But it's almost leaf-bare! There shouldn't be a fire! But either way, she ran out of the medicine cat den and headed for Stonestar's den.
"Stonestar?" She called into the den when she climbed up to it.
A few seconds crawled past before Stornestar answered, "Yes?"
"Stonestar, I think I smell a fire."

Stonestar was out of the den within a heartbeat. But brfore he could say anything else, two cats burst into camp.
Ashpaw and Pouncepaw.
"Fire!" Ashpaw yowled. "Moonclan is on fire! And it's coming for Treeclan!"
"Moonclan's on fire?!" Starpaw didn't even remember that Moonclan wasn't her clan anymore. She dashed out of camp, running as fast as she could- towards Moonclan.
"Starpaw! Come back!" Stonestar called.But she didn't listen.

When she got close, the smoke was blinding. She stumbled through it. She could here cats through the roaring of the fire.
"Get the kits!" Someone yowled- whom Starpaw recognized as Bluewhisker.
"I'm trying! Wingkit is with you, right?" That was Lionfoot.
"Yes. Is Rosekit still in there?"

"I don't think so. I think Lightstar got her."
"And Leopardkit?"
"He's not with me! Is he with you?"

Starpaw ran forward. Her heart was pounding, and it felt like it was in her ears.
"Starpaw?!" A shocked meow asked. "What are you doing here? You betrayed Moonclan!"
"No, I didn't!" Starpaw hissed. "You heard what Wetbranch said. And I didn't come back because... we don't have time for this! Where's Leopardkit?"

"Starpaw's right," Lionfoot agreed. "Leopardkit! Where are you?"
The three of them searched and searched, but the fire was closing in.
"We have to get out of here!" Bluewhisker hissed. "We just have to hope that Leopardkit went with Lightstar and the rest."

"But what if he didn't?" Lionfoot challenged.
"Then..." the queen shook her head. "No. He went with Lightstar."
Starpaw turned away from the two parents. She knew Leopardkit had to be somewhere.
"Starpaw, we have to go now." And tree crashed to the ground, flames erupted everywhere.
"Okay, let's go then." Starpaw watched them run. She wouldn't give up. Even if this was the death of her. She would find the kit.

She jumped over a flaming branch, coughing as the smoke got in her lungs. Then she heard him.
"Help!"
"Help us!"
Two kits? Oh no. Rosekit didn't go with Lightstar!
She raced towards the sound and saw... Leopardkit, clinging to a branch, fire raging below, and a different kit, slowly slipping off the branch.
"No!" She howled, launching towards the tree.

She didn't know that kit, but she couldn't watch it burn.
Before she reached the tree, the kit managed to get a grip, pulling itself up to safety, but Starpaw slipped.