Chapter 36

Never

I haven't talked to Sadie about what she saw that night since the game was already approaching, and that night, the boys invited me to drink with them again.

Sumapit din naman ang hinihintay naming araw. The first line-up of the game was, of course, Manila vs. Cebu. And then those who win would be facing the other teams, leading to the finals. Both have zero loss. Hah! Tingnan natin ngayon kung gaano kagagaling ang mga hayop na 'yon at ang yabang noong Captain.

Tumayo ako at tiningnan ang iilan na nagsusuot na rin ng kanya kanya nila jersey. I put the black compression leg sleeve on my left and wore my Nike shoes for the game. Pinatunog ko ito sa sahig at tumalon talon para tingnan kung makakagalaw ba ako nang maayos.

Ramdam ko kung gaano ka kondisyon ang katawan ko. I clicked my neck and shook my hands while doing a little jump.

"Tingnan mo si Rick." Tapik ni Mavric sa balikat ko at nginuso si Rick na tahimik na nakaupo sa bench, nakakuyom ang mga kamay at nakasandal ang ulo sa pader.

He looked so lost and angry. It's been a hot topic with us about the video. It triggered his trauma. And now I know where he would direct his displacement later.

I wanted a fair game for the team. Settled it like a professional basketball player should be acting on the court with only 25% physical and 75% mental. But then, as soon as Cebu went out with their full team and the coach, I forgot the 75% mental as it contributed to all of my physical.

At sa reaksyon ng mga kaibigan ko, kung wala kami sa court, siguro pinagsusugod na at isa-isang inambahan ng suntok ang mga nasa video habang bugbog sarado sa amin ang Captain na mismong nanakit at nambastos kay Shiloh.

Nagkatinginan kami ng captain. I guess he was considered the star player of the group because he's in the first five minutes of the first quarter.

Our first five include me, Mavric, Angelo, Liam, and Tyler. It was what the coach had planned, and seeing their first five, just like how he probably calculated their movement, Coach Josson nodded to us and clapped to let us know to do our best.

Maingay ang arena. The referee was already in the center holding the ball while we flocked around him as he murmured some rules as we waited for him to blow the whistle for the start of the game.

Noong pumito ito, and as the center of our team, I made a high jump, including the others, until I slammed the ball on the ground on our side. Mabilis ang paghabol ni Liam sa bola at din-ribble iyon. I ran to the other corner as Liam passed the ball to Tyler since he was being chased by two of the opponents.

The captain was glancing at me. Ako ang binantayan niya at mukhang sa dalawa pang bantay kay Mavric, nabasa ko agad na nanood sila sa mga laro ko.

Mavric is quite good at rebounding. I was so good at passing the ball every time I was cornered that being guarded wasn't really a problem for me as long as my team could keep up with the way I passed the ball. At sa lahat ng player, si Mavric ang madalas na napapantayan ang liksi ng pasa ko.

"Sana sinali niyo si Shiloh sa game?" He started talking to me while his back was facing me and I was trying to get to the other corner.

There was always a rule in the game that offensive words that might push someone's temper weren't allowed. Kaso mukhang alam na alam nila kung paano paiinitan ang larong ito.

"Kung sasali siya, hindi ba't nakakainsulto iyon sa inyo kung matatalo namin ang team niyo? Imagine it?" Bahagya kong idinaan sa tawa kahit nanginginig na ako sa galit.

Mavric got the ball from their team and ran to the ring.

"Here comes Evander, stealing the ball like a flash!" patuloy ng commentator na umalingawngaw ang tinig sa arena.