On The Way

The sun's up, we've eaten breakfast and right now we're in the man's vehicle looking for Emaline's mother. 'You kids on the way are on the way for quite a treat, the bature's really a way to freshen yourself up. I'll introduce you to the wonders as we go'.

'Oh that's alright, sir,' Emaline subtly pleaded.

'No, no, please, I insist'.

A second before Emaline reluctantly says 'Alright'.

We both give each other a look of the slightest irritation. The thing is, we have a lot going on in our heads and irrelevant/unnecessary information about the wilderness really doesn't help with the stress.

Aggravatingly, every 10 minutes, he spots a tree or some sort of plant and either says 'how unique it is or how endangered it is' and after that follows a forced 'wow' of some sort from us.

'So this person, why do you want to meet her?'

I watch as Emaline swallows her anxiety and says 'She's my mother'.

The man is the slightest bit confused.

'And so she's the adventurous type huh? Cuz well, it is quite adventurous to live out here, I must say'.

'Seems like it'. Emaline replies while sighing.

A few seconds later, I can tell he starts to grasp the peculiarity of the situation and understands it's one of those personal matters.

And then it hits me, we're on our way to see Emaline's mother. I just can't help but think about mine. She was my best friend through all my bad days, I've been feeling like an orphan ever since she left. Oh man, I would leave everything behind just to be with her, just to feel the warmth of true family again. What destroys my insides is the fact that I've forgotten what it feels like to say 'Mom', I've forgotten what it feels like to have someone care to tell me not to go over my curfew, someone tell me that they're not just my parents but my friends. I miss feeling like I had a mother or a parent.